League Report: Shelbourne 1 - 0 Galway United

Will Jarvis caught the eye for the Reds

Will Jarvis caught the eye for the Reds Credit: Paul Dolan (ETPhotos)

Andrew Dempsey reports from Tolka Park

Shelbourne moved into top spot thanks to a narrow 1-0 victory over newly-promoted Galway United at Tolka Park.

The Reds, who were unbeaten coming into the game, scraped over the line thanks to a first-half strike from new recruit John Martin. 

But it was far from a vintage night from the hosts, who had to play the last few minutes of the game with ten-men following Shane Farrell’s apparent arm injury. 

The winger was only just brought on as a sub before his injury-forced withdrawal, although Shelbourne will be relieved that they held on. 

Unchanged for the third game on the spin, Galway United started the better of the two teams and caused a number of early issues for the Reds. 

David Hurley was to the forefront of their good play with some powerful surges forward - but they rarely threatened Conor Kearns in the hosts goal. 

And the Tribesmen were made to pay when Shels took a 15th minute lead through Martin. 

The former Dundalk attacker pounced on a rebound after winger Will Jarvis saw his effort clip the post to roll into the net. 

The Drumcondra side then saw a good chance go begging moments later through JJ Lunney.

But the former Bohemians midfielder skewed his effort high and wide over the bar after he was found by some good play from Evan Caffrey. 

Galway soon restored their foothold in the game, with winger Ed McCarthy doing well down the flank in a fascinating duel with Sean Gannon.

In a game of few opportunities for the visitors, Conor McCormack volleyed over the bar with an effort that fell kindly to him - while Aodh Dervin’s miscued shot almost fell to Killian Brouder in the penalty on the stroke of half-time.

But the defender was unable to control the ball adequately as the hosts avoided a scare to take a lead into the half-time break.

United once again sprung from the traps quickly in the second half, with a Vincent Borden free-kick saved by Kearns. 

And defender Rob Slevin then did his best to trouble the Reds netminder, but his effort on goal was stopped by a Shelbourne foot.

Shels struggled to get going in an attacking sense, however, but Jarvis remained their best attacking outlet. 

And the 21-year-old loanee from Hull City had their first effort on goal of the half but saw it blocked down by Slevin as it crept goalwards.

But as the clock ticked down, Galway pushed desperately forward in their bid to level.

They came closest through former Athlone Town midfielder Patrick Hickey, but he pulled his effort on goal just wide.

Substitute Farrell was then forced off with a concerning arm injury after a heavy fall, meaning the Reds had to finish the game with ten-men.

But Shels had the chance to seal it at the death through Tyreke Wilson, although he blasted his strike just wide with an incisive counter-attack.

However, it mattered little as the hosts held - and moved into top spot.


Shelbourne:Conor Kearns; Patrick Barrett, Sean Gannon, Kameron Ledwidge (Tyreke Wilson 61), Gavin Molloy; Liam Burt (Shane Farrell 81), Evan Caffrey (John O'Sullivan 71), Mark Coyle, William Jarvis, Jonathan Lunney; John Martin (Dean Williams 71).

Subs not used:Lorcan Healy, Lewis Temple, Keith Ward, Jad Hakiki, Matthew Smith.

Booked:Mark Coyle (3), Dean Williams (74), Sean Gannon (84).


Galway United:Brendan Clarke; Killian Brouder, Regan Donelon (Tom Costello 85), Colm Horgan, Robert Slevin; Vincent Borden (Al Amin Kazeem 77), Aodh Dervin (Francely Lomboto 65), David Hurley, Edward McCarthy, Conor McCormack (Patrick Hickey 85); Karl O’Sullivan (Jeannot Esua 77).

Subs not used:Joe Wright, Conor O'Keeffe, Maurice Nugent, Leo Gaxha.

Booked:Karl O’Sullivan (32), Killian Brouder (85).


Referee:Robert Hennessy.


extratime.com Player of the Match: Will Jarvis (Shelbourne).