First Division round-up: UCD fight back to draw with Athlone as Bray Wanderers claim vital win over Wexford

UCD kept their slim First Division title hopes alive on Friday night when they picked up a point away to Athlone Town. 

The Students remain 10 points behind league leaders Cork City but they were trailing 2-0 early on against the Co Westmeath side before hitting back to draw. 

And Willie O’Connor’s side were two behind inside 21 minutes when Athlone raced out of the blocks.

Shamrock Rovers youth prospect Gideon Tetteh gave Dario Castelo’s side the lead inside five minutes before Aaron Connolly doubled their advantage just 15 minutes later. 

But UCD would not lie down and began their fightback when Mikey McCullagh halved their deficit shortly after Connolly’s hit.

The Sky Blues, however, had to wait until 11 minutes from time to level when Mikey Raggett netted. 

And they will be relieved that Cork City were unable to stretch their lead at the summit as they were held at home by Treaty United. 

City took an early lead through Evan McLaughlin but were halted in their pursuit of three points when Alec Byrne levelled. 

Treaty remain without a win since March 1st, but they will take positives from their battling display at Turner’s Cross. 

Managerless Bray Wanderers came from 1-0 behind to secure a 2-1 fightback success over Wexford at Ferrycarrig Park. 

The Seagulls parted ways with Ian Ryan on Wednesday morning, with first-team coaches Lorcan Fitzgerald and Paul Heffernan stepping into the void left by their former boss.

And Wanderers fell behind midway through the first-half when Mikie Rowe scored for the hosts. 

But a quickfire brace from striker Cristian Magerusan gave Bray the lead past the hour as they held out to claim a valuable three points. 

The Seagulls are now sitting just one point outside of the play-off places following their win.

Meanwhile, Kerry snapped their winless streak in style as Ryan Kelliher and former Finn Harps man Daniel Okwute struck in the second half to damage the Donegal side’s promotion bid.

But the Kingdom had to wait until the second-half to make their mark and secured a 2-0 win. 

Ryan Kelliher opened the scoring for Conor McCarthy’s side in the 55th minute. 

And just minutes past the hour, striker Daniel Okwute sealed the deal when he netted. 

The win takes Kerry off bottom spot and they are now just three points behind eighth-placed Treaty United