League Report: Bohemians 0 - 1 Waterford

Padraig Amond and his team mates celebrate their match winning goal

Padraig Amond and his team mates celebrate their match winning goal Credit: Martin Doherty (ETPhotos)

Joshua Lindsay reports from Dalymount Park

Keith Long emerged victorious at Dalymount Park, as his Waterford side defeated Bohemians 0-1 through a goal from the Blues' talisman, Padraig Amond.

It turned out to be a successful return to Dalymount for the former Bohemians boss, Keith Long, as his Waterford side came out victorious in what was a feisty affair between the two Premier Division sides. Long denied the new man at the helm, Alan Reynolds, a result in his first home game at Dalymount Park.

Excitement hit the stadium eleven minutes in when James Clarke used a bit of magic to dance around players in the middle of the park before advancing towards the box; he released Dylan Connolly on the left-hand side. Connolly tried to cut inside but was tackled, and the ball was cleared.

Another opportunity came to Bohs in the way of a free-kick. Clarke was fouled on the edge of the box, which led to Jordan Flores standing over the spot kick. Flores struck it low, attempting to beat the wall's jump but failed to do so, leading to a block.

With just under 15 minutes left in the first-half, Waterford broke the deadlock through Padraig Amond. Amond was slipped through by Robert McCourt, after he broke through the Gypsies' defense; he took a touch and leathered it home to put the visitors ahead.

A few minutes later, Dalymount was left in anticipation of the second goal of the game as Rooney had a golden opportunity to score. Left one-on-one with Sam Sargeant, he failed to hit the back of the net, striking it straight at the Waterford number one.

Rooney had the last chance before the break, after taking a lofted ball down at the back post from Patrick Kirk. Rooney’s sublime touch led to a swivel and curling strike, which was saved by an acrobatic Sargeant.

Clarke had the chance to equalize for the Dublin side ten minutes into the second half. James Akintunde clipped a ball into the box towards Clarke, who leapt to meet the ball, only to guide it over the bar.

Another chance from another inviting cross into the box for Alan Reynolds’ side came through Connolly. The rapid winger picked up the ball on the right flank and whipped a low cross across the face of the box. The ball flew by everyone and went out for a goal kick.

With ten minutes to go, the two substitutes linked up to attempt to level the game. Sten Reinkort received the ball in the Blues box, pinning back a Waterford defender. He set Declan McDaid, who ran onto the ball and struck a stabbing strike towards the goal, in which Sargeant clawed away for a corner.

Alan Reynolds’ men piled on the pressure with moments to go but were unable to find an equaliser.

Bohemians: Kacper Chorazka, Patrick Kirk, Jordan Flores, Jevon Mills, Luke Matheson (Martin Miller, 79), Adam McDonnell (Brian McManus, 75), James McManus (Cian Byrne, 63), James Clarke, Dylan Connolly, Dayle Rooney,(Declan McDaid,63), James Akintunde (Sten Reinkort, 75)

Substitutes not used: James Talbot, Bartlomiej Kukulowicz, Aboubacar Keita, Daniel Grant

Booked: James Clarke (29), Jordan Flores (88)

Waterford: Sam Sargeant, Darragh Power, Grant Horton, Darragh Leahy, Robert McCourt (Kacper Skwierczynski, 82), Harvey Macadam, Rowan McDonald (Niall O’Keefe, 67), Conor Parsons, Ben McCormack, Maleace Asamaoh (Kacper Radkowski, 82), Padraig Amond

Substitutes not used: Matthew O’Connor, Ryan Burke, Connor Evans, Christie Pattison, Dean McMenamy, Joseph Forde

Booked: Darragh Leahy (53), Niall O’Keefe (75)

Referee: Kevin O’Sullivan

Attendance: 4,342

Extratime player of the match: Padraig Amond