League Report: Kerry 2 - 3 Bray Wanderers

Poor weather dirsrupted the match in Kerry

Poor weather dirsrupted the match in Kerry Credit: Kerry FC

Éanna Mackey reporting from Mounthawk Park

As heavy hail and lightning interrupted proceedings at Mounthawk Park, the Kerry faithful were left devastated as Bray came from behind twice to defeat 10-man Kerry, prolonging the wait for their first-ever home win.

The decisive strike came from Christian Magersusan on a night when Kerry’s poor set-piece defending cost them dearly.

After the game was halted by adverse weather in the fifteenth minute, the hosts saw Nathan Gleeson dismissed late in the first half before taking the lead in stunning fashion on the brink of half-time.

Kevin William’s stunning effort from well outside the box swirled and dipped over the Bray keeper. The Kingdom was good value for their lead, having had several golden opportunities throughout the first half.

It wasn't until the seventeenth minute that the visitors managed to restore parity in the freezing rain, levelling proceedings. Bray's shouts for a handball and a penalty resulted in a corner kick from which Peter Grogan rose to head home Shane Griffin's delivery, netting his first goal for the club.

But just two minutes later, the ten men of Kerry retook the lead when a sloppy pass from Bray gave them a corner, and from Steven Healy’s delivery, Samuel Aladesanusi powered his header past Corcoran in the Bray net.

It looked like Kerry were on track for their first home victory and just their second ever in the League of Ireland, but Bray had other ideas. Remarkably, despite being a goal down just three minutes later, Bray would be in front.

A hopeful cross from the right by Turley saw Kerry goalkeeper Tuta fail to punch clear. It fell to Cruise, who squared it to Craven, and he found the net from 12 yards.

Just two minutes later, Cristian Magerusan evaded his marker’s attention to glance home a Griffin free-kick from the left, securing a memorable win in the Kingdom and wrapping up a chaotic five minutes of football.

It was a night of missed opportunities and poor defending for Kerry but a memorable away win in abhorrent weather conditions as Bray secured their first win of the season.

Kerry FC: Antonio Tuta; Kevin Williams, Samuel Aladesanusi, Andrew Spain, Sean O’Connell; Steven Healy, Daire McCarthy, Sean McGrath; Okwuy Okwute,Ryan Kelliher, Nathan Gleeson. Subs: Ethan Kos for Okwute (H/T); Victor Udeze for Kelliher (68); Cian Brosnan for McGrath (78); Kennedy Amechi for O’Connell (78);

Subs not used: Aaron O’Sullivan, Robert Vasiu, Jack Kavanagh, Ronan Teahan, Ferdia O’Brien.

Booked: Nathan Gleeson (26), Stephen Healy (58)

Sent Off: Nathan Gleeson (38)

Bray Wanderers: Jimmy Corcoran; Cole Omorehiomwan, Killian Cantwell, Paul Murphy; Max Murphy, Darren Craven, Harry Groome, Kieran Cruise; Guillermo Almirall, Shane Griffin; Callum Thompson. Subs Freddie Turley for Omorehiomwan 34); Cristian Magerusan for Groome (60); Zach Nolan for Almirall (60); Peter Grogan for Murphy (60); Alain Kizenga for Cruise (87). Not used: Ben Clark, Ben Feeney, Jamie Duggan, Thomas Morgan.

Subs not used: Ben Clarke, Ben Feeney, Jamie Duggan, Thomas Morgan.

Booked: Darren Craven (44), Killian Cantwell, (59)

Referee: Mark Moynihan

Attendance: 520

ExtraTime.ie Player of the Match: Shane Griffin.