League Report: Finn Harps 1 - 1 Cork City

Action from Finn Harps 1-1 draw with Cork City

Action from Finn Harps 1-1 draw with Cork City Credit: Clare McCahill (ETPhotos)

Stuart Connolly reporting from Finn Park

Finn Harps and Cork City shared the spoils in Ballybofey after Jack Doherty's spot-kick in the second half cancelled out the first-half opener from Success Edogun.

Both sides now sit on four points from their first two games.

This was the first meeting between the two sides in four years – that encounter was a Premier Division tussle in which Cork City prevailed.

Chances weren't too common during the opening stages; only a couple of corners showed potential but were swiftly dealt with at both ends.

With a little under 20 minutes gone, Harps took the lead as they capitalised on a mishap in the middle of the park. Sean Murray had his head in his hands after his back-pass lacked the conviction to reach his goalkeeper, and he could only watch as Success Edogun instinctively finished beyond Bradley Wade from 35 yards.

At the other end, Tim-Oliver Heimer was equal to a shot from Harry Nevin as Harps took their slender lead into the break.

Cork City had a couple of opportunities to change that in the early moments of the second half. Evan McLaughlin had two shots blocked by Noe Baba while Matthew Makinson got in the way of an effort from Barry Coffey.

Edogun had perhaps the best opportunity to double his side's lead after the hour following a precise pass from Ferry, but the end result of his one-on-one was a sliced shot into the side netting.

That miss proved costly not long after, as Cork City levelled via a spot-kick.

Makinson was penalised for handball, which vexed many of those in blue and white, and Jack Doherty stepped up to blast the ball into the bottom right corner.

Harps had two opportunities to restore their lead in the final stages of the game. McNamee's free-kick from the edge of the box was tipped away by the fingertips of Wade, while a dangerous set-piece was clawed away from danger after a powerful header from Makinson in the last minute.

Finn Harps: Tim-Oliver Heimer; Jamie Watson, Matthew Makinson, Noe Baba, Shane McMonagle; Max Hutchison, Stephen Doherty(Darragh Coyle 82) David Cawley, Tony McNamee; Patrick Ferry(Mark Mbuli 67) Success Edogun.

Subs not used: Oisin Cooney(GK), Conor Walsh(GK), Luke O'Brien, Chris Lotefa, Max Johnston, Sean O'Donnell.

Booked: Patrick Ferry (42), Matthew Makinson (73), Shane McMonagle (88).

Cork City: Bradley Wade; Harry Nevin, Cian Coleman, Charlie Lyons, John O'Donovan; Jack Doherty, Evan McLaughlin(Jaden Umeh 75), Sean Murray, Barry Coffey, Niall Brookwell(Cathal O'Sullivan ht); Nathan Wood.

Subs not used: Aidan Dowling(GK), Conor Drinan, Joshua Fitzpatrick, Matthew Murray, Arran Healy, Oran Crowe.

Booked: Cathal O'Sullivan (59).

Referee: Marc Lynch

Attendance: 2,010

ExtraTime.ie Player of the Match: Tony McNamee (Finn Harps)