League Report: Cork City 0 - 1 St Patrick's Athletic

Mark Doyle scored a 76th minute winner for St Pat's

Mark Doyle scored a 76th minute winner for St Pat's Credit: Liam Coughlan (ETPhotos)

Patrick O'Connor reports from Turner’s Cross

Cork City were unable to deliver a new manager bounce for Richie Holland on Friday night when they lost by a single goal to their FAI Cup semi-final opponents St Patrick’s Athletic.

The 1-0 loss was very tough on the Leesiders however as they were the better side for the bulk of the match and, but for a harsh looking double booking on one of their defenders, they may well have secured at least a morale boosting draw for Holland.

Pats were below par on the night, but as most teams at the top end of the table do, they took full advantage of the numerical advantage and did enough on the night to secure all three points.

City were the better team during the opening 45 minutes and while they had no clear-cut chances, they did create lots of half chances and applied a lot of pressure on the visitor’s defence.

Ruairi Keating was central to most of City’s chances, and although he was generally well marshalled by Joe Redmond at centre back, he did evade his marker on a number of occasions and tested Dean Lyness in goals with a few shots from distance.

His best effort came just before the break when he got in front of Redmond and diverted Cian Bargary’s pinpoint cross just over the bar with a header.

Holland’s team continued to dominate after the break but the game was turned on its head when left back John O’Donovan got a second yellow and then a red card from referee Oliver Moran.

O’Donovan had been booked in the 9th minute for a foul on Jason McClelland and in the 61st minute he contested what looked like a 50/50 ball with a Pats player as both players went to ground.

O’Donovan appeared to first get a touch on the ball before colliding with his opponent but Moran saw it differently and flashed the second yellow card and then the red card at a disconsolate youngster.

Holland then had to withdraw the influential Ben Worman in order to plug the gap at the back so Conor Drinan was introduced.

But from then on Pats took over and started to apply pressure that would eventually break the resistance of City.

The vital goal came in the 77th minute when Jamie Lennon’s accurate cross was met by the head of the inrushing Mark Doyle and his flicked header flew past Ollie Byrne in goals to make it 1-0.

The Leesiders made a late attempt to rescue the game and they almost did late on when substitute Joe O’Brien-Whitmarsh was put through by Keating but he dragged his shot to the left of the post and did not test Lyness.

It was certainly tough on City who will feel hard done by but at least they have a chance to atone for that defeat very quickly when they face Pats again next weekend in the Cup semi-final, the Cross will certainly be rocking for that match next Sunday afternoon.

Jon Daly will be delighted that his side are still fighting on both fronts, league and cup, at the business end of the season.

And while the league may prove to be beyond them at this stage, they will return to the banks of the Lee next weekend with a cup final very much in their sights.


Cork City: Ollie Byrne, Chris Coleman ©, Aaron Bolger, Jonas Hakkinen, Josh Honahan, John O Donavan, Ben Worman (Conor Drinan 65), Andri Kravchuk (Joe O’ Brien- Whitmarsh 73), Cian Murphy (Malik Dijksteel 70), Cian Bargary, Ruairi Keating.

Subs not used: Jimmy Corcoran, Barry Coffey, Oran Crowe, Joshua Fitzpatrick, B Owolabi, Sam Bailey.

Booked: John O’Donavan (9, 61), Oliver Byrne (61), Conor Drinan (70), Aaron Bolger (80), Ruairi Keating (93)

Sent off: John O’ Donavan (61).


St Patrick’s Athletic: Dean Lyness, Anto Breslin, Joe Redmond ©, David Norman, Jamie Lennon, Chris Forrester, Jason McLelland (Conor Carty 68) Kian Leavy (Ben McCormack 78), Adam Murphy (Alex Nolan 78), Mark Doyle, Tom Lonergan (John Alan McGrath 82).

Subs not used: Danny Rogers, Rhys Bartley, Darius Lipsiuc, Anthony Dodd, Mason Melia.

Booked: Jamie Lennon (93)


Referee: Oliver Moran.

Extratime.com Player of the Match: Joe Redmond (St Patrick’s Athletic).

Attendance: 2,251.