First Division round-up: Waterford dismantle Finn Harps while Longford Town seal first win

Keith Long’s reign as Waterford boss began in style on Friday night as they recorded an emphatic 7-1 win against Finn Harps.

Long was appointed on Wednesday afternoon, just 48 hours after previous boss Danny Searle parted ways with the club.

And the Blues responded to their managerial turmoil with Roland Idowu scoring twice to the hosts on their way.

Ellis Farrar then turned into his own net to make it 3-0 to Waterford, and the tide continued to flow in Waterford’s favour during the second half of the game.

Kilian Cantwell also scored in the first-half of the contest.

Ronan Coughlan, Connor Parsons and Giles Phillips also scored for the Blues – with Daniel Okwute’s consolation the best Dave Rogers side could conjure up in the game.

On Saturday night, Longford Town ended their wait for a first win of the season with a 2-0 win at home to Kerry.

Josh Giurgi’s brace was the difference between the sides as the Kingdom gave Longford Town as good as they got at Bishopsgate.

Giurgi opened the scoring in the first-half with an impressive low strike – and then repeated the trick in the second period to send the majority 416-strong home crowd away happy.

Galway United also maintained their winning streak as they defeated Athlone Town at the Athlone Town Stadium.

Frantz Pierrot opened the scoring for the Co. Westmeath men – but a brace from David Hurley proved crucial for the Tribesmen after he missed an earlier penalty.

Stephen Walsh also scored for John Caulfield’s side in their win.

And at St Colman’s Park, Cobh Ramblers returned to winning ways with a 2-1 win at home to Bray Wanderers.

Brendan Frahill opened the scoring for Rams in the 40th minute, but then turned into his own net in the second period to level matters.

However, a red card for Alex Moody cost the Seagulls with Wilson Waweru finding the net shortly after for Shane Keegan’s side after Jack Doherty missed his penalty.

Meanwhile, Treaty United were held to a 1-1 draw against Wexford at Ferrycarrig Park.

Enda Curran netted for Tommy Barrett’s side just before the break, but they were pegged back by Darragh Levingston’s goal moments into the second half beginning.