League Report: Waterford FC 3 - 0 Treaty United

Success Edogun been challenged by Killian Cantwell

Success Edogun been challenged by Killian Cantwell Credit: Hugh de Paor (ETPhotos)

Aisling Hannon reports from the RSC

Waterford’s penultimate league game saw them retain second place in the table after a comfortable 3-0 win over Treaty United at the RSC on Friday night. 

The Blues controlled the game from the off, with three changes to the side that defeated Longford Town in Bishopsgate on Monday. 

It took them just ten minutes to score the opener with a shot from long distance by Junior Quitirna. Roland Idowu passed the ball calmly to Quitirna who surprised the Treaty defence by striking a low ball through the back line and into the net. 

Treaty had their chances, particularly in the early stages of the half. William Armshaw and Enda Curran had respectable attempts from distance, but Paul Martin was too strong in goal for the home side. 

Conor Winn was the busier of the two goalkeepers with Phoenix Patterson taking a shot from a tight left angle and Darragh Power coming forward and being a threat on several occasions too. 

The Blues were in complete control further into the half and constantly looked dangerous when pressing forward. It was the Spaniard Raul Uche who made it 2-0 with 39 minutes played when Tunmise Sobowale whipped in a superb cross which met Uche in the box for a tap-in. 

It was a fifth goal in five games for Phoenix Patterson when the former Tottenham Hotspur youth player hit a tremendous strike from distance after a composed pass by Idowu. It was a powerful shot that neither the Treaty defence nor Winn in goal could keep at bay, making it Patterson’s 16th goal of the season. 

The best chance of the half for Treaty came when Stephen Christopher curled the ball into the box from a free kick which met the head of substitute Success Edogun but Martin was sharp on his line to make the save. 

There were shouts for a potential penalty deep into the half when Killian Cantwell launched a brilliant tackle on the dangerous summer signing Edogun who went down unhurt in the box. Referee Kevin O’Sullivan waved away any appeals with Treaty captain Jack Lynch receiving a yellow card for his protests. 

Waterford continued to press for the remainder of the half with substitutes Remi Thompson and Richard Taylor both having chances to score. Idowu, who played superbly throughout, almost made it four when he struck the ball off the crossbar with five minutes to play.

On the night when Cork City were promoted, Waterford stay in second place after Galway United’s 2-1 home defeat by Athlone Town, with Treaty remaining in fifth with 44 points. 

Both teams now turn their focus to the FAI Cup semi-finals next Sunday when Waterford host Shelbourne and Treaty travel to Derry. 

Waterford: Paul Martin; Alex Baptiste (Richard Taylor 64), Niall O'Keeffe (Yassine En-Neyah 46), Darragh Power; Shane Griffin (Dean Larkin 71), Junior Quitirna (Wassim Aouachria 62), Tunmise Sobowale, Raul Uche; Killian Cantwell, Roland Idowu, Phoenix Patterson (Remi Thompson 63).

Subs not used: Dara Kavanagh, Jeremie Milambo, Oluwatimilehin Sobowale, Owen Oseni.

Booked: None.

Treaty United: Conor Winn; Sean Guerins, Marc Ludden, Callum McNamara (Fionn Doherty 80); William Armshaw (Joel Coustrain 69), Stephen Christopher, Enda Curran (Success Edogun 46), Lee Devitt Molloy; Jack Lynch (Matt Keane 66), Ben O'Riordan, Mark Walsh.

Subs not used: Jack Brady, Colin Conroy, Martin Coughlan, Darren Collins.

Booked: Jack Lynch (52) 

Referee: Kevin O’Sullivan

Attendance: 2,286

extratime.com Player of the Match: Roland Idowu (Waterford)