FAI Cup Friday - No shocks as Premier Division teams progress

Bohemians scoring in their 2-0 win over Lucan United

Bohemians scoring in their 2-0 win over Lucan United Credit: Eddie Lennon (ETPhotos)

The first five second round FAI Cup fixtures took place on Friday evening with both non-league sides exiting the cup to Premier Division opposition. The night produced no shocks with all Premier Division sides progressing.

Bohemians recorded a 2-0 win over Lucan United. Despite being a home game for Lucan, it was played in Dalymount Park.

Bohs fans had to wait 32 minutes for a goal and then two arrived in three minutes scored by the team wearing their Dublin Bus styled jersey.

The goals were enough to see the Gypsies through to the next round with Liam Burt (32) and Jonathan Afolabi (35) on the score sheet. Lucan had Anthony McKay sent off for a tackle on James McManus with 15 minutes to go.

A Will Patching penalty (11) and a Sadou Diallo goal (72) gave Derry City a 2-0 win over Cork City in the Brandywell. The visitors were reduced to ten-men when Ruairi Keating was sent off on 51 minutes.

Shelbourne had a 4-0 win over non-league side Bonagee United. Josh Guirgi scored the opening goal deep in first-half injury time but the home side will feel somewhat aggrieved as they had looked to the ref to stop play as they had a player down injured. Instead play continued and the Reds got the opening goal.

Daniel Carr doubled Shels' lead early into the second-half before sub Jack Moylan made it 3-0 on the hour mark. Carr got his second and Shelbourne's fourth on 72 minutes to complete the scoring.

UCD earned a place in the next round after a 3-2 win over Galway United in Eamon Deacy Park. The visitors went 1-0 up on 17 minutes thanks to Thomas Lonergan but Galway equalised on the stroke of half-time via Mikie Rowe.

The Students retook the lead on 51 minutes thanks to a fine free-kick from Dylan Duffy. Galway equalised once more through Max Hemmings on 66 minutes. The winning goal came three minutes from time as a mix up in the Galway defence left Lonergan to finish into an unguarded net.

Dundalk took the final place of the night with a 3-2 win after extra-time. The Lilywhites took the lead on 38 minutes thanks to David McMillan. Some excellent build-up play allowed the ball to fall to McMillan on the right hand side, placing it easily past Moody in the goal.

The home side fought back and equalised on 55 minutes. Luka Lovic was left in plenty of space as the defence opened up and allowed him to slot it to the back of the net. Wexford then took the lead on 66 minutes as Ger Shortt but that advantage was short lived as Ryan O’Kane equalised on 73.

With under five minutes gone in the second period of extra-time, Thomas Considine fouled John Martin in the box. Substitute Robbie Benson stepped up and fired Dundalk into the next round of the cup.

Two more FAI Cup games take place on Saturday with Malahide United taking on Waterford and Maynooth University Town facing Treaty United. On Sunday, Drogheda United welcome Shamrock Rovers to Louth to complete the second round fixtures.

Friday FAI Cup Results

Saturday FAI Cup Fixtures

Sunday FAI Cup Fixtures

Photo Galleries

Lucan 0-2 Bohemians by Martin Doherty

Lucan 0-2 Bohemians by Eddie Lennon

Bonagee United 0-4 Shelbourne by Clare McCahill