League Report: Cobh Ramblers 2 - 0 Longford Town

Sat, Aug 22 2020

Dylan O’Connell reports from St Colman’s Park

Cobh Ramblers laid down a marker in their hunt for a play-off place on Saturday evening with a comprehensive two-nil win over Longford Town at St. Colman’s Park.

Conor Drinan scored his first goal for the club after signing from Carrigaline United, before Stephen O’Leary sealed the result with a spectacular back heel in the second half. 

Ramblers came into the game five points behind Longford in sixth place tonight and they are now two points away from De Town, who are in a play-off spot.

The last time the Ramblers beat Longford at St. Colman’s Park came in the quarter finals of their infamous run to the 2018 EA Sports Cup final.

That evening, Darren Murphy and Andrew Wall found the net to send the Ramblers through to the semi-final against Dundalk.  

Cobh started the fasted, pushing Longford back with some neat passing play. Pierce Philips nearly played the perfect ball through onto the path of Darragh Crowley, but Shane Elworthy cleared. John Kavanagh unleashed a powerful volley from the corner which darted wide.

Just four days ago, Cobh enjoyed a comprehensive 4-0 demolition over Wexford at St. Colman’s Park. It was a result described as a ‘tonic’ by Stuart Ashton to push the Ramblers on.

It took twenty minutes for the first goal to come, as Philips crossed the ball low across the box to Drinan, who tapped it in.

Seconds later Ben O’Riordan would have made it 2-0 if not for the stern presence of Lee Steacy who saved at point blank from the defender’s shot.

The first real chance for Longford arrived five minutes before half time. As Cobh regrouped from a free kick, Aaron McCabe wrestled through with David Hurley in tow.

As he went to turn, Hurley muscled in to put off the forward and as he shot, Sean Barron looked on as the ball bobbed wide.

In the final kick of the first of the first half, McCabe had a fine shot fizz across the goal.

The energy and determination which Cobh showed through the first half showed no signs of tiring after the break.

Just minutes from the restart Crowley picked the ball from Dervin in midfield and charged at Steacy. With an acre of space and Philips in support, he curled the ball wide.

Longford thought they had equalised when Rob Manley tapped a header in, but referee Kevin O’Sullivan gave a free out for an infringement on goalkeeper Sean Barron.

Substitute Matthew O’Brien had an almost instantaneous impact on the pitch. His first touch of the ball after replacing Dylan Hand saw him charge down the right wing and cross the box in.  

Charlie Lyons cleared back to O’Brien who attempted to cross again which Cobh swatted away.  In a frantic moment, Dylan Grimes volleyed wide.

Sam Verdon dropped a fantastic ball into to the box for Grimes just seconds from his attempted volley, which led to an excellent hand from Barron in goal.

The second goal for Cobh came at the end of a brilliant passage of play which saw Hurley cross it in for Ian Turner to set up Stephen O’Leary to back heel the ball in.

Cobh tried to round off the night with a third goal through a breaking Cameron Harlson and O’Leary but Longford converged and put the ball to safety.


Cobh Ramblers: Sean Barron, John Kavanagh, Ben O’Riordan, Charlie Lyons, Pierce Philips, Dave Hurley, Lee Devitt (Stephen O’Leary, 68), Martin Coughlan (Ian Turner, 63), Conor Drinan (Cameron Harlson, 90), Darryl Walsh, Darragh Crowley.

Subs not used: Bryan Murphy, Gavin Ryan, Nathan Coleman, Greg Henry.

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.  


Longford Town: Lee Steacy, Shane Elworthy, Dylan Hand (Matthew O’Brien 64’), Dean Zambra (Aaron McNally 79’), Dylan Grimes (Callum Warfield 79’), Rob Manley, Sam Verdon, Aaron McCabe (Adam Evans 55’), Aodh Dervin, Joe Manley, Joe Gorman.

Subs not used: Luke Dennison, Niall Barnes, Karl Chambers.

Booked: Dylan Hand (55), Adam Evans (57).


Referee: Kevin O’Sullivan.

Extratime.com Player of the Match: John Kavanagh (Cobh Ramblers).