Galway United have announced the return of Shane Doherty ahead of the League of Ireland First Division re-start next Friday night.
The American re-signs for a second stint at the club after first lining out for The Tribesmen during 2019, before leaving mid-season to return to his home state of New Jersey.
He scored three goals for the Galway club and made his final appearance in maroon last July, against Shelbourne.
“To be back in Galway is really a dream for me,” Doherty told the club’s website.
“The people involved in the club are really special. To have the chance to represent Galway with the squad that’s been built is such a privilege.
“I’m very excited about the potential here this season. Last year was tough, but it was very important for the club to build on the foundations we set.
“The hard work of everyone at the club from last year is what allowed for this group to be aiming for promotion.
“I am itching to get back on the pitch. I know the squad is strong. I am ready to play my part in whatever way Alan and the rest of the staff feel is necessary.
“I know what the goals for the club are and that comes before any individual.”
The 23 year old winger will not be available until The Tribesmen face Cobh Ramblers on Saturday 8th August with the player in two weeks self-isolation on his return from the United States.
“Having to isolate is only a small inconvenience as I know how serious the world situation is. I have family and friends here that I would never want to endanger,” Doherty said.
“On top of that, I know how lucky I am to be back at this club, so doing the little things was never going to be an issue.”
While Doherty has re-entered the fold in Galway, the club have also announced the departure of Dean O’Halloran and Canadian winger Dylan Sacramento.
The Tribesmen take on Cabinteely in Eamonn Deacy Park next Friday night as the First Division re-starts (kick-off 7.45pm).