FAI Intermediate Cup Report: Verona 2 - 2 St Kevin's Boys

Sun, Jan 19 2020

Tim Palmer reports from Blanchardstown

A cold evening in Blanchardstown gave no indication as to who was going to take their place in the last eight of the FAI Intermediate Cup as St Kevin’s Boys earned a last gasp replay against Leinster Senior League rivals Verona.

Jamie Delaney’s 90th minute equaliser saved the day for Kevin’s after they fell behind thanks to a quickfire double from the hosts with Mark Walsh and Christopher Clarke netting.

Stephen Cantwell opened the scoring from the penalty spot on the hour mark before three further goals followed as neither could be separated on a day of high drama in Blanchardstown.

Verona started well in the first half as they dominated the early exchanges, which forced a string of good saves from Gavin Browne in the St. Kevin’s goal.

And if it wasn’t for the heroics of Browne, the hosts may well have taken a two goal advantage with Ross White and Adam Clarice going close inside the opening twenty minutes.

The visitors came into the game around the half-hour mark, however, with no-one getting onto the end of a hard driven ball across the box before Jordan Cromwell found the side-netting.

After a tight and tense opening half of action, the second period proved to hold much of the action with no less than four goals being scored.

Cantwell made no mistake from the penalty spot on the hour mark to give St. Kevin’s the lead as the hosts came into the second half in a laboured fashion.

A series of substitutions saw Verona switch their formation to a three at the back to pile men into attack, and it was to be the last of the substitutes, Mark Walsh who levelled the tie with his first touch of the game.  

Walsh poked home to score the equaliser with his first touch of the game after a scramble for the ball in the visitor’s box.

And, just eight minutes later Verona got a penalty of their own after multiple shouts throughout the game.

Clarke sent the keeper the wrong way to give Verona a hard fought lead with 5 minutes left on the clock.

As the unfancied hosts saw the finish line come even closer, defender Gavin Kennedy continued to fight hard to keep Verona’s lead intact however they were soon undone.  

In the final minute of the game centre-back Jamie Delaney finished with power to send the tie to a replay, much to the relief of the hosts.

And shortly after, that was that as referee Robert Redmond blew the whistle on a pulsating last-16 clash in the FAI Intermediate Cup with the visitors bringing the tie to a replay in the closing moments of the game.

All round it was an action packed but cold evening where I’m sure players , staff and supporters alike were glad to settle for a replay instead of extra-time.

Verona: Stephen Daly; Abdy El Hagagi, Karl Canning (Mark Walsh 76) , Ange Waznia, Ross White (Adis Viluc 69); Gavin Kennedy, Adam Clarke (Aidan Lyons 72), Christopher Clarke; Andre Ilovan (Liam Moran 58), Kyle Horgan (Adam Russell 58), Sean Enright.

Subs not used:  Niall Grogan, Joeseph Awana

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.


St. Kevin's Boys: Gavin Browne; Daniel O'Donovan, Steven Mullins (Andy McKenna 78), Gavin McCabe, Jamie Delaney; Robert O'Reilly, Jack McMahon, Jordan Farry; Luke Ingram (Adam Whelan 66), Jordan Cromwell, Stephen Cantwell (Jack Tynan 90).

Subs not used: Josh Peyton, Adam O'Brien, Eden Burke, Godfrey Yoro.

Booked: Jordan Cromwell (69), Jack Tynan (90).

Sent off: None. 


Referee: Robert Redmond.

Attendance: 100 (estimate).

ExtraTime.ie Player of the Match: Sean Enright (Verona).