FAI Intermediate Cup Report: Ringmahon Rangers 2 - 1 Bangor GG

Sun, Jan 19 2020

Ringmahon's Jack Cairns celebrates his winning goal against Bangor GG on Saturday. Credit: Steve Alfred (ETPhotos)

Dylan O'Connell reports from Ringmahon Park

Two goals in two minutes from Roy Kenny and Jack Cairns were enough for Ringmahon Rangers to see off Bangor GG in the FAI Intermediate Cup fourth round.

In a scrambled encounter between the Munster Senior League and Leinster Senior League top division sides, Ringmahon left it until the final 15 minutes to rescue their national cup campaign.

The comeback came after a first half dominated by the Dublin club, who went ahead after just 20 minutes.

Adam Mahar burst forward from right-back on the counter-attack and squared the ball to Dunne, who neatly tapped it in.

Ringmahon – who are undefeated in their domestic league campaign so far – tried to respond  through Daniel Long and Kenny but were denied by the quick thinking of goalkeeper Gary Cleary.

The dismissal of Ronan Hanaphy just five minutes in the second half, for a dangerous challenge on Ringmahon keeper Eric Grimes, changed the game, and the home side took full advantage of the extra man.

Ringmahon changed their tactics, with Jason Forde joining midfield to create a 3-5-2 formation, and this was pivotal in their second half comeback as it allowed them to completely over run Bangor in the centre.

It took just two minutes for Ringmahon to turn the scoreline on its head. Darren Murphy set up the first after he squared it for Kenny to knock in.

Almost immediately from kick-off, substitute Cairns turned in a perfectly placed cross from defender Anthony O’Donnell.  

Long saw red in final ten minutes for a two-footed tackle, which did inspire Bangor once more but they couldn’t force a meaningful chance in the remaining time.

In added time, Cleary, who has played up front for Booth Road Celtic, was brought forward from goal to aid the attack and thought he had won a penalty only to be booked for stimulation.

Ringmahon Rangers: Eric Grimes, Philip Keane, Jason Forde (Jack Cairns 50), Anthony O’Donnell, Sean Blake, Darren Murphy, Roy Kenny, Anthony McAlavey, Dean Swords (Alan Higgins 55), Daniel Long, Patrick O’Brien (Jordan O’Sullivan 75).

Subs not used: Michael Hammett, Cian Kingston, John Meade, Paul Deasy.

Booked: Alan Higgins (80).

Sent off: Daniel Long (85).

Bangor GG: Gary Cleary, Adam Mahar, Mark McCarthy, Cian Fadden, Cian Mooney, Andrew Dunne, Jordan Andre, Lawrence Dunne, Ronan Hanaphy, Darren Goode, Ronan Byrne (Robert McGee 55).

Subs not used: Steven Philips, Conor Murphy, Eoin McCurtain, Shane Herritigan, Paul Skinner.

Booked: Cian Mooney (25), Cian Fadden (67), Andrew Dunne (85) Gary Cleary (90).

Sent off: Ronan Hanaphy (50).

Referee: David Coleman.

Attendance: 150 (estimate).

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Darren Murphy (Ringmahon Rangers).