Hoops confirm departure of trio of strikers

Wed, Nov 13 2019

Graham Cummins Credit: Steve Alfred (ETPhotos)

Shamrock Rovers confirmed the departure of strikers Graham Cummins, Sean Boyd and Orhan Vojic from the club.

Cummins had been signed from Cork City on loan during the summer. He scored three league goals for the Hoops from eight league appearances. but got limited game time in Tallaght.

He was hindered by picking up a concussion in Turner’s Cross when he played for Rovers against City at the end of July.

He didn’t make the Rovers match day squad for the recent FAI Cup final with Stephen Bradley including 18-year-old Thomas Oluwa on the subs bench in Cummins’ place.

Rovers also confirmed that Austrian-Bosnian striker Orhan Vojic had departed Rovers “by mutual consent”. The striker had been frozen out of the Rovers squad since the summer after Cummins came to Tallaght.

Vojic started just one game for Rovers in the league all season but made 11 appearances off the bench, scoring two goals for the Hoops – his last goal coming in Oriel Park in the 2-1 defeat against Dundalk in April.

Vojic scored the late winner for Rovers against Waterford on the opening night of the season. However Ethan Boyle also was laying claim to that goal. Boyle is noted on the PFAI transfer list as available for signing.

Sean Boyd has also left the club at the conclusion of his contract. The striker who played on loan away from Rovers this season – first with Finn Harps and then with Longford Town – confirmed on twitter on the eve of the cup final that he was leaving the club.

“After 5 very enjoyable years at Shamrock Rovers my time at the club has come to an end. I loved every minute I was there and am so grateful for everything my various managers and staff, team mates and fans done for me. Hopefully the lads finish this season on a high on Sunday.”

Boyd made his senior debut at the age of 17 in May 2016 and scored his first senior goal for the Hoops in a Dublin derby win over Bohemians at Tallaght Stadium two months later.

A bad shoulder injury, which required surgery, hampered his progress further. The 21-year-old striker scored twice in 15 appearances for Finn Harps.