League Report: Treaty United 0 - 0 Kerry

Eanna Mackey report from Markets Field.

Treaty United's winless run has been extended to six games following a scoreless stalemate at home to Munster rival Kerry FC in front of a crowd of 1,506 in the SSE Airtricity League First Division at the Markets Field on Friday evening.

The Limerick side’s impressive start to the season has been curtailed recently by a dip in form seeing them come into this Munster Derby winless in five. Kerry arrived at the Markets Field unbeaten in six, looking to build on their first-ever home league win last week.

The Shannonsiders started like a team with a point to prove and within seconds of the kick-off struck the crossbar after Mark Byrne volleyed Fionn Doherty’s cross from the left.

A frantic opening saw a number of Treaty penalty shouts before Ryan Kelliher’s driving shot troubled the home defence. Moments later some lovely build-up play and a deflected shot from Lee Devitt had Antonio Tuta scrambling for his post in the Kerry goal. Stephen Christopher’s header then came close but it looped narrowly wide.

As the game's intensity lulled it was the visitors who should’ve taken the lead. Ronan Teahan sliced his effort from yards out over the crossbar before immediately after the ever-troublesome Kelliher dragged his header inches wide of the post.

On the stroke of half-time Yousef Mahdy curled his effort over after some more good build-up play, sending the sides in scoreless at the interval.

The second half began in the same chaotic manner as the first. The Shannonsiders came inches away with Devitt’s volley just seconds after the restart. The Kingdom responded immediately with Stephen Healy forcing a reflex save from Corey Chambers.

Devitt then forced a huge save from Tuta after a Mahdy lofted cross before Chambers again came to the rescue for the home side making a diving save with his outstretched ankle from a point-blank shot. Teahan then broke the Treaty line shortly after but he rifled his shot off the crossbar.

Kerry should’ve again broken the deadlock after a rapid counter from a Treaty corner forced Chambers to make an outstanding double save to deny substitute Cian Brosnan and Daniel Okwute. A rasping shot from Daire McCarthy shortly after stung the gloves of Chambers.

Despite plenty of goalmouth action, the spoils of this evening’s Munster Derby were shared. Treaty United now travel to the Carlisle Grounds to take on play-off rivals Bray Wanderers next week while Kerry welcome Athlone Town to Tralee.

Treaty United: Corey Chambers; Lee Devitt Molloy, Scott Kirkland (Alec Byrne 72), Evan O'Connor (Robbie Lynch 45), Oisín O'Reilly (Sean Costelloe 68), Ben O'Riordan; Mark Byrne (William Armshaw 76), Stephen Christopher, Fionn Doherty (Thomas Considine 72), Mark Walsh; Yousef Mahdy.

Subs not used: Michael Dike, Leon Kirrane, Adam O'Halloran, Mark Murphy.

Booked: None.

Kerry FC: Antonio Tuta; Samuel Aladesanusi, Ethan Kos (Cian Brosnan 70), Sean O'Connell, Andrew Spain, Kevin Williams; Steven Healy (Graham O'Reilly 73), Daire McCarthy, Ronan Teahan; Ryan Kelliher (Victor Udeze 86), Daniel Okwute.

Subs not used: Aaron O'Sullivan, Finn Barrett, Jack Kavanagh, Evison Shkkaku Rramani, Cianan Cooney, Togor Silong.

Booked: Daire McCarthy (56), Ronan Teahan (82).

Referee: Daniel Murphy.

Attendance: 1506

extratime.com Player of the Match: Corey Chambers (Treaty United)