First Division round-up: Galway United break Waterford hearts with late leveller as Wexford fight back to see off Kerry

Runaway First Division league leaders Galway United struck with the latest of late goals to secure a draw away to Waterford at the RSC last night.

And that means the Tribesmen remain 16 points clear of the Blues at the top of the pile.

As a result, Galway United need 14 points from their last nine league games if Waterford win each of their last ten fixtures.

Ronan Coughlan opened the scoring for the Blues in the 1st minute to give Waterford the ideal start but that lead was cancelled out when Killian Brouder netted 16 minutes later.

Hitman Coughlan scored again soon after as he put Waterford 2-1 ahead in the 22nd minute.

That goal meant that the former St Patrick’s Athletic forward broke the record for the most goals scored in a First Division season – 31 – nudging past Danny Furlong’s initial record.

But that will mean little to Waterford as Francely Lomboto levelled with a late strike to break their hearts, sparking wild scenes amongst the Tribesmen’s support.

However, there was no such luck for basement battlers Kerry as they slumped to a late defeat against Wexford.

The Kingdom raced into a 2-0 lead following Kennedy Amechi’s brace and looked set to win just their second game of the season.

But James Keddy’s men responded well and ran out 3-2 winners.

Ethan Boyle halved the deficit in the 61st minute, while two goals in as many minutes from Aaron Dobbs and Furlong saw Wexford over the line.

Meanwhile, Bray Wanderers salvaged a late point against Cobh Ramblers thanks to a thrilling 3-3 draw at St Colman’s Park.

Trailing 3-1 with just 15 minutes of normal time to play, the Seagulls clawed their deficit back with goals from Ben Feeney and Guillermo Almirall.

But it was Jack Doherty who opened the scoring for the Rams when he slotted home a second-minute penalty.

Dane Massey equalised for the Seagulls in the 30th minute before Wilson Waweru put Shane Keegan’s men back in front four minutes later.

And in the 74th minute he looked like he sealed all three points for Cobh but his hopes were thwarted by Bray’s late show.

Elsewhere, Treaty United breathed new life into their play-off hopes with a hard-fought 1-0 win away against Finn Harps.

Dean George’s 47th minute winner was the decisive moment for Tommy Barrett’s side.