First Division round-up: Waterford blitz Treaty United to gain two points on leaders Galway United

Shane Griffin celebrates a goal for Waterford

Shane Griffin celebrates a goal for Waterford Credit: Liam Coughlan (ETPhotos)

Keith Long’s Waterford were at their irresistible best as they blitzed Treaty United with a 7-0 win at the RSC.

The Blues came into this weekend’s double-header knowing that they needed to start making inroads on Galway’s lead at the top.

And they did just that with a win at home against Tommy Barrett’s side, while Galway were held to a 1-1 draw against Bray Wanderers.

Chris Conn-Clarke opened the scoring for Waterford in the 16th minute before a goal glut arrived just before the interval.

The Blues netted four times in 10 minutes, with Shane Griffin, Giles Phillips, Tumnise Sobowale and Ronan Coughlan getting in on the act.

That gave Waterford a scarcely believable 5-0 lead at the half-time break – and they added to that tally soon after.

Griffin sealed his brace in the 55th minute before former Bohemians striker Thomas Oluwa completed the rout in injury time.

And that win was sweetened by Galway’s 1-1 draw against Bray Wanderers.

The Tribesmen took a 1-0 lead early in the opening period thanks to a David Hurley spot-kick.

But a second yellow card and dismissal to Rob Slevin – plus Chris Lyons’ leveller from the spot – meant that Galway had to hold out for a draw.

They stay well clear of Waterford although, and now lead by 10 points at the top of the pile.

Elsewhere, Athlone Town claimed the bragging rights in the Midlands as they saw off a laboured Longford Town by a single goal.

Frantz Pierrot’s goal was the difference between the two teams as Longford had Aodh Dervin and Kyle O’Connor sent off.

Their boss Stephen Henderson also saw red in injury time, as did Athlone Town keeper Vlad Velikin for striking out at a Longford player.

Cobh Ramblers also fell to a late loss away to Wexford at Ferrycarrig Park thanks to Aaron Dobbs’ 86th minute winner.

Danny Furlong opened the scoring for James Keddy’s side in the 17th minute – but Jack Doherty then levelled for Shane Keegan’s men in the second half.

But Dobbs was on hand to score a valuable winner for Wexford as their play-off hunt continues.

However, the win came at a cost for the hosts with boss James Keddy and defenders Ben Lynch and Ethan Boyle sent off. Cian Browne also saw red for the Rams.

Meanwhile, Finn Harps and Kerry played out a scoreless draw at Finn Park.