Date: 7:45 p.m. Oct. 27, 2020
2 - 1

Karl Fitzsimons 53' -
Scored: 53'

Jack Doherty 65' -
Scored: 65'

Scored: 12'
- Dylan Grimes 12'

League Report: Wexford 2 - 1 Longford Town

Wed, Oct 28 2020

None Credit: Gerry Shanahan

Wexford came from behind to record a victory in the final game of the season and left Longford Town sweating it out to see if they had secured a play-off spot. 

Despite falling to a defeat Longford Town booked their place in the play-offs thanks to results going their way in other fixtures.

The home side can thank their keeper Tom Murphy for helping them claim the win. The netminder pulled off a string of excellent saves near the end as Town went in search of an equalising goal.

Town had taken the lead in the 12th minute through Dylan Grimes but Wexford drew level on 54 minutes through Karl Fitzimons and nine minutes later Jack Doherty got their second goal.

Murphy was called into action in the fourth minute when he tipped Matthew O’Brien’s effort over the bar.

Eight minutes later the visitors took the lead; Aaron McNally was fouled on the edge of the box and Dylan Grimes hit an excellent free that beat Murphy.

It was all Town after that, but they didn’t create too many scoring opportunities. In the 35th minute Wexford had their first chance on goal when Karl Fitzsimons passed to Jack Doherty, but he shot over the bar.

Doherty was then fouled minutes later and took the free but hit it straight into the hands of Town keeper Lee Steacy.

On 39 minutes Murphy was called into action again, this time making a fine save from Adam Evans’ effort. It was more of the same in the early stages of the second half as Town looked for a second goal.

McNally should’ve done better with his effort in the 47th minute and two minutes later Niall Barnes was unlucky with his shot that hit the woodwork.

Rob Manley did very well in the 50th minute to keep possession, he laid the ball back to McNally, but his shot was poor.

On 54 minutes the home side were on level terms; Charlie Smith worked hard to earn his side a corner. Conor Crowley took the kick that was headed home at the far post by Karl Fitzsimons.

Nine minutes later and Wexford took the lead; Crowley with a delivery, this time from a free, with Jack Doherty heading past Lee Steacy. Town were now chasing the game and pressed hard for an equaliser.

Dylan Grimes struck a well-taken free on 85 minutes that was expertly tipped over the bar by Murphy while the Wexford netminder pulled off an excellent save to deny Niall Barnes on 87 minutes as the home side picked up their second win of the season while Town secured a play-off spot.


Wexford: Tom Murphy; Jay Nwanze, Kevin McEvoy, James Carroll; Karl Fitzsimons, Charlie Smith, Dan Tobin, Conor Crowley, Karl Manahan; Jack Doherty, Azeez Yussuf.

Subs not used: Jack Lydon, Malike Benrouguibi, Kristian Crawford, Kieran Murphy, Patrick O’Sullivan.

Booked: Tom Murphy (87).


Longford Town: Lee Steacy; Dylan Hand, Joe Gorman, Joe Manley, Aaron McNally; Dean Zambra; Dylan Grimes, Matthew O’Brien (Karl Chambers 90), Niall Barnes, Adam Evans (Aaron McCabe 70); Rob Manley.

Subs not used: Luke Dennison, Callum Warfield.


Referee: Jason Mannix. Player of the Match: Tom Murphy (Wexford).

Longford Town
1 Lee Steacy
6 Dean Zambra
21 Aaron McNally
22 Joseph Manley
4 Dylan Hand
32 Joe Gorman
17 Matthew O'Brien
Midfielder 90'
90Subbed Off: Karl Chambers 90'
7 Dylan Grimes ©
Scored: 12'
12 Niall Barnes
8 Rob Manley
11 Adam Evans

24 Callum Warfield
15 Aaron McCabe
Ben Lynch
18 Luke Dennison
19 Karl Chambers
Forward 90'
90Subbed On: Matthew O'Brien 90'