League Report: Galway United 1 - 0 Finn Harps

Fri, Apr 08 2016

Action from tonight's game. Credit: Jimmy McElroy

Galway United claimed a second 1-0 home win of the season as Vinny Faherty’s 59th minute goal was enough to overcome a battling Finn Harps at Eamonn Deacy Park on Friday night.


A scrappy opening half saw Galway have a lot of the ball without creating any real chances as Harps were happy to defend in numbers and counter quickly through Ethan Boyle, Tony McNamee and Ryan Curran.


The best chance of the opening 35 minutes fell to the visitors when Ethan Boyle’s right wing low cross was fired over the crossbar by the unmarked Ryan Curran from just inside the Galway penalty box.


Enda Curran had the second half’s opening chance, but he fired his effort straight at Richard Brush as the home side looked to start brightly.


A cross from the left from Adam Hanlon then picked out Dave Scully and his header just cleared Connor Winn’s crossbar and ended up on the roof of the net on 56 minutes as the visitors showed some threat.


The home side, however, hit the front just three minutes later as Enda Curran and Colm Horgan worked the ball out wide to Kevin Devaney and he provided the perfect low cross to the back post for Vinny Faherty to gratefully knock home his fourth goal of the season.


Harps were almost level on 72 minutes as defender Paul Sinnott left a header back to his goalkeeper Conor Winn short and Ryan Curran nipped in but saw his touch past the home keeper just slide the wrong side of the Galway post.


Sub Kevin McHugh shot straight at Winn with Harps only effort of the game on target on 73 minutes, while Enda Curran got away from the visitors defence at the other end only to fire well off target to the groans of the home support.


The home side played out the final ten minutes controlling possession as Harps went long with a lot of ball looking for a break that would bring a share of the points, but that break never arrived as the home side collected all three points as their good start to the campaign continues.


Galway United: Conor Winn; Colm Horgan, Killian Cantwell, Paul Sinnott, Stephen Walsh; Gary Shanahan, John Sullivan, Ryan Connolly, Kevin Devaney; Vinny Faherty, Enda Curran (Padraic Cunningham 89).

Subs not used: Kevin Horgan (GK), Eric Foley, Conor Melody, Enda Curran, Ruairi Keating.

Yellow Cards: Ryan Connolly (67), Padraic Cunningham (90 +3)


Finn Harps: Richard Brush; Damien McNulty, Packie Mailey, Keith Cowan, Ciaran Coll; Adam Hanlon (Liam Flatley 84), Gareth Harkin, Ethan Boyle, Tony McNamee (Kevin McHugh 70), Ryan Curran; David Scully (Sean Houston 70).

Subs not used: Ciaran Gallagher (GK), Matt Crossan, Michael Funston, Tommy McMonagle.

Yellow Cards:  Damien McNulty (90 +3), Ethan Boyle (90 +3)


Referee: Jim McKell

Attendance: 1,505

Extratime.ie Man of the Match: Kevin Devaney (Galway United)


You can see Jimmy McElroy's pictures from the game by clicking here.