First Division round-up: Bray Wanderers end Athlone Town’s unbeaten run, Kerry defeat Longford Town and Treaty United beat Wexford

Bray Wanderers soared into third place with a pivotal 1-0 win over Athlone Town at the Carlisle Grounds. 

The Seagulls have rallied following Ian Ryan’s departure as boss last month with former assistant coaches Lorcan Fitzgerald and Paul Heffernan impressing in interim charge. 

And their latest victory over Athlone was a big one with striker Cristian Magerusan netting the all-important winner. Athlone were 10 games unbeaten prior to their loss on the East Coast.

Wanderers are level on points with Athlone but ahead of the Co Westmeath side on goal difference. Their next assignment after the mid-season break is against Cork City. 

In the tussle for play-off positions, Wexford’s dismal run of results continued after they were defeated at home by Treaty United. 

James Keddy’s side are now winless in their last five and have won just once in their last nine outings. Their last victory arrived against Kerry on May 17. 

But they will likely rue their loss  at home to Treaty after playing against ten-men for the last 15 minutes of the game. 

Lee Devitt gave Tommy Barrett’s side a first-half lead before they had to hang on following Robbie Lynch’s dismissal.

Sixth-placed Wexford are now just points ahead of eighth-placed Treaty in the table and are now trailing Finn Harps by four points in the battle for the last play-off berth. 

At the bottom of the table, Kerry recorded their third home league win on the spin with a 2-1 defeat of Longford Town. 

Conor McCarthy’s KIngdom are now five points clear of Longford in the battle to avoid the wooden spoon. 

Kerry took the lead through Ryan Kelliher in the first-half before being pegged back two minutes before the break by Karl Chambers. 

But Longford - minus a large number of first-team players through injury - could not hold out and were undone late on when Kelliher scored Kerry’s second seven minutes from time.

Meanwhile, leaders Cork City dismantled neighbours Cobh Ramblers 4-1 at Turner’s Cross

First half goals from Cian Coleman and Darragh Crowley set them on their way before later efforts from Jack Doherty and Cian Murphy sealed it. 

They also managed to hit the woodwork on three occasions.

But it was a poor display from the visitors who netted via a late goal from Nolan Evers.

Success Edogun’s second-half strike salvaged a point for Finn Harps as their ten men rallied to leave UCD frustrated as the sides drew for the third time this season in Ballybofey.

Down to ten men after Sean O’Donnell’s red card midway through the first half, Harps almost made it to half-time intact.

But a clever turn and finish from Jake Doyle had UCD in front. Roared on at home, though, Harps levelled through Edogun’s excellent finish to restore parity.