League Report: Drogheda United 0 - 0 St Patrick's Athletic


Drogheda United split the points with Pats tonight Credit: Thomas Flinkow (ETPhotos)

Drogheda United moved off the bottom of the Premier Division table as they ended a run of four successive league defeats with a well-deserved point at home to Saint Patrick’s Athletic.

In a game of few chances, Drogheda were worthy of a share of the spoils with Stephen Kenny’s Pat's side blunt in attack, particularly in the second half at Weavers Park.

The point moves Drogheda ahead of Louth rivals Dundalk on goal difference and into the relegation playoff place, while Pats continue to look over their shoulder in eighth place, eight points ahead of the bottom two but with two more games played.

The Kenny era at the Inchicore club is yet to click into gear, and the FAI Cup holders lacked pace and intensity, with Drogheda looking the more likely to break the deadlock.

Drogheda kicked off the game at the foot of the league table for the first time this season.

Both sides were guilty of coughing up possession in dangerous areas, and Drogheda’s Luke Heeney was the culprit as Ruairi Keating had the first chance of the game.

After seven minutes, Keating picked the ball from Heeney’s toe but had an outside-of-the-foot effort well saved by Andrew Wogan, and the breaking ball evaded the onrushing Mason Melia.

The 24th minute saw the best chance of the half fall to Jake Mulraney. Luke Turner, often looking like a centre back playing as a full back, brilliantly stepped inside and played Chris Forrester, who looked offside, in behind.

Forrester checked back in and squared for Mulraney, who didn’t get great purchase on the effort, and the ball trickled wide of the far post.

Moments later, Turner was dispossessed near the penalty area, and Steve Zisham Bawa fired over before blazing wide when played through on goal as the game ticked towards the break.

Drogheda probably didn’t want the first half to end, and Conor Kane’s daisy cutter skimmed through a barrage of bodies and into the grateful arms of Daniel Rogers, which brought the first period to a close.

Kevin Doherty’s side continued where they left off after the break and might have had a penalty when Rogers' attempt to go down and collect a loose ball saw him collide with Evan Weir, but referee Declan Toland waved play on.

Drogheda continued to press before the hour mark, with Ryan Brennan curling over from distance before a stinging Jack Keaney effort from the edge of the box was diverted wide.

The hosts kept the pressure on and Brennan headed Weir’s free kick wide as the Saints fans packed into the away corner grew frustrated that a Chris Forrester scuffed effort wide was all they could muster.

That was before they had a great chance to go ahead in the 82nd minute. Drogs were caught napping at the back post and Jamie Lennon, playing as a right-back for the second half, stabbed an effort into the ground, and it was caught by Wogan.

Mulraney had a half-chance in the dying seconds, but he was unable to get a proper connection on the ball and his shot on the stretch bounced into the arms of Wogan.

Drogheda United: Andrew Wogan; Conor Kane, Jack Keaney, Andrew Quinn, Evan Weir; Zishim Bawa, Ryan Brennan (Warren Davis 85), Luke Heeney, Darragh Markey, Matthew O’Brien; Adam Foley (Frantz Pierrot 75).

Subs not used: Finn Moore, Hayden Cann, David Webster, Evan Haddock, James Byrne, Killian Cailloce, Emre Topcu.

Booked: Ryan Brennan (45), Adam Foley (54), Luke Heeney (55).

Sent off: None.

St. Patrick's Athletic: Daniel Rogers; Conor Keeley (Tom Grivosti 46), Ryan McLaughlin (Aaron Bolger 31), Joseph Redmond (Jason McClelland 64), Luke Turner; Christopher Forrester, Kian Leavy, Jamie Lennon, Jake Mulraney; Ruairí Keating (Cian Kavanagh 73), Mason Melia (Alex Nolan 73).

Subs not used: Marcelo Pitaluga, Brandon Kavanagh, Romal Palmer, Arran Pettifer.

Booked: Ryan McLaughlin (16), Jamie Lennon (72).

Sent off: None.

Referee: Declan Toland

Attendance: 2046

extratime.com Player of the Match: Evan Weir