First Division round-up: Galway United and Waterford secure easy wins as Athlone rise to third with victory over Bray Wanderers

Stephen Walsh in action for Galway United.

Stephen Walsh in action for Galway United. Credit: Liam Coughlan (ETPhotos)

Galway United remain ten points clear at the top of the First Division thanks to an emphatic 6-0 victory over Finn Harps.

The Tribesmen came into the game off the back of a draw away to Bray Wanderers on Friday night – but they responded with a bang.

Six different scorers netted for John Caulfield’s men as Dave Rogers’ men suffered another heavy loss on the road.

Darren Clarke opened the scoring for the hosts in the fifth minute – with a further three arriving inside the opening 20 minutes.

Killian Brouder, Stephen Walsh and Maurice Nugent all scored to make it 4-0.

Former Longford Town striker Rob Manley then made it 5-0 in the 53rd minute while David Hurley made it 6-0 with a last-gasp penalty.

However, that Galway win was matched by Waterford as they romped to a 6-0 win over Kerry at Mounthawk Park.

Roland Idowu opened the scoring for the Blues after a goalkeeping blunder from the hosts – while Ronan Coughlan opened his account on the stroke of half-time to make it 2-0.

After that, the floodgates opened as Coughlan scored three more, while Barry Baggley made it 6-0 to send the Blues home happy.

At the Athlone Town Stadium, Athlone Town ran out 3-1 winners against Bray Wanderers.

Aaron Connolly scored for the Blue and Black to give them the lead after 42nd minute – and it got better for them in the second period.

Adam Lennon made it 2-0 nine minutes into the second period, while Jamar Campion-Hinds made it three with just under 20 minutes left to play.

Chris Lyons however found a late consolation for the Seagulls.

Meanwhile, Cobh Ramblers secured a morale-boosting win over Longford Town at St Colman’s Park.

Once again, Longford ended a game with a man less as Darragh Lynch was dismissed late on after Wilson Waweru gave the Rams a 1-0 lead early in the second period.

Elsewhere, Treaty United and Wexford played out a 1-1 draw at the Market’s Field.

Darragh Levingston gave James Keddy’s side the lead before Marc Ludden’s spot-kick salvaged a point for the hosts.