League Report: Shelbourne 3 - 2 Drogheda United

Sean Boyd returned for Shelbourne with a goal

Sean Boyd returned for Shelbourne with a goal Credit: Conor Ryan (ETPhotos)

Conor Cantwell reports from Tolka Park

Substitutes Sean Boyd and Evan Caffrey came off the bench to make the difference for Damien Duff’s Shelbourne as the Reds recorded a 3-2 victory against Drogheda United at Tolka Park this evening.

Freddie Draper opened the scoring late in the first half but the score was level four minutes after the restart thanks to a Sean Boyd header.

Shane Griffin put the home team ahead before Evan Caffrey extended Shelbourne’s advantage with a composed finish.

Draper notched his second of the game late in added time with the last play of the game but it wasn’t enough to take anything away from their trip to Dublin.

Shelbourne made five changes to the team that picked up a point away at Derry City with Luke Byrne, JJ Lunney, Matty Smith, Jad Hakiki and Gavin Molloy inserted into the starting lineup.

Drogheda United made three changes with Adam Foley, Andrew Wogan and Elicha Ahui starting in place of Dylan Grimes, Colin McCabe and the suspended Ryan Brennan.

The game started with little action as both teams tried to get a feel for the game but Shane Farrell’s early cross was a sign of things to come in the game.

Damien Duff was as animated on the sideline as usual, getting onto his team to play the ball around after a slow start to the game.

Jack Moylan had the ball often during the early stages of the game, making incisive passes and direct runs into the Drogheda United box but with little return.

Darragh Markey grew into the game as the first half went on and almost slipped Dayle Rooney through on goal after latching onto Draper’s neat touch, but the pass sent Rooney too wide for him to cause any trouble.

The deadlock was broken in the 39th minute when McNally found himself in acres of space to whip a pinpoint cross in for Draper who stretched to put his header back across goal and past Conor Kearns in the Shelbourne goal.

Damien Duff made changes at half-time taking off Jad Hakiki and JR Wilson and bringing on Sean Boyd and Tyreke Wilson, the first of two substitutions that would swing the game.

Boyd made an immediate impact just four minutes after his introduction, heading back across the goal from Farrell’s delivery after a nice passage of play to level the game.

Shelbourne took the lead in the 66th minute thanks to Shane Griffen getting the ball over the line on the second attempt after a goalmouth scramble. Emmanuel Adegboyega did his best to prevent the goal but was unable to get to Griffen’s decisive touch.

Duff’s men made it three in the 76th minute thanks to another substitution.

Casual play by the Drogheda United defence started a quick counter-attack for Shelbourne and when the ball in from the right found Evan Caffrey in the box he calmly made space before slotting it past Wogan.

Drogheda did get a consolation goal in additional time when Freddie Draper headed home from a corner but there was only time for the tip-off to be taken before the referee ended the game.

These goals end a run of three games without a goal for Shelbourne and leave them on level on points with Dundalk on 29 points.

For Drogheda, it is again the familiar story playing well but failing to come away with any points.

Draper’s seventh and eighth goals of the season will be some consolation for Drogheda but with Cork City winning, Drogheda slid to ninth.

Shelbourne: Conor Kearns; Luke Byrne (Mark Coyle 69), Shane Farrell, Shane Griffin, Andrew Quinn, John Ross Wilson (Tyreke Wilson 46); JJ Lunney, Gavin Molloy, Jack Moylan (Brian McManus 85); Jad Hakiki (Sean Boyd 46), Matty Smith (Evan Caffrey 69).

Subs not used: Daithi Folan, Kameron Ledwidge, David Toure, Kyle Robinson. 

Booked: Tyreke Wilson (90). 

Drogheda United: Andrew Wogan; Emmanuel Adegboyega, Elicha Ahiu, Conor Keeley, Aaron McNally (Evan Weir 50); Gary Deegan, Adam Foley, Luke Heeney (Emre Topcu 82), Darragh Markey, Dayle Rooney (Michael Leddy 73); Freddie Draper.

Subs not used: Colin McCabe, Fiachra Pagel, Jarlath Jones, Matthew O'Brien, Callum Warren, Darragh Noone. 

Booked: Dayle Rooney (52). 


Referee: Sean Grant

Attendance: 2,500 (estimate)

extratime.com Player of the Match: Shane Farrell