First Division round-up: Galway United steal a march on Waterford as Longford Town, Treaty United and Cobh Ramblers all win

Galway United extended their lead at the top of the First Division table thanks to a 2-1 win at home to title rivals Waterford.

John Caulfield’s side are now 10 points clear of the Blues at the top of the pile with goals from Ed McCarthy and David Hurley netting.

McCarthy opened the scoring in the first half with Hurley doubling their lead in the second half.

Ronan Coughlan nabbed a goal in the 80th minute but the Tribesmen managed to hold out for a huge win in this year’s First Division.

Coughlan’s goal was his 15th of the season – but it was too little too late for Keith Long’s side.

Meanwhile, Treaty United extended their winning streak to three wins on the spin after they defeated Athlone Town late on.

Frantz Pierrot scored his 10th goal of the season to open the scoring for Gordon Brett’s side – but they were undone late on.

Lee Devitt levelled matters in the 78th minute for Tommy Barrett’s charges – and in the 82nd minute they took the lead through Marc Ludden.

The win sends Treaty up to sixth in the league table and they are now just one point off the play-off places.

At Mounthawk Park, Longford Town also recorded an important – yet nervy 3-2 win against Kerry.

Town raced into a 2-0 lead before the half-time break with Stephen Meaney and Shane Elworthy scoring for Stephen Henderson’s side.

But Kerry rallied in the second half and scored either side of a costly Matt Keane own-goal.

Sean McGrath and Ryan Kelliher both netted for the Kingdom as their wait for a first win goes on.

Elsewhere, Finn Harps’ patchy start to the campaign continued as they slumped to a heavy 4-1 loss away to Cobh Ramblers at St Colman’s Park.

Dave Rogers’ side came into the game reeling from a 4-1 reversal against Athlone Town on Monday and they suffered a similar result on Friday night.

James O’Leary and Liam Kervick both netted for the Rams to put Shane Keegan’s men 2-0 up after 29 minutes.

But Noe Baba soon responded for Harps as he made it 2-1 just before the half-time break.

However, second half goals from Charlie Lyons and O’Leary – his second of the night – handed Ramblers another big win at home in front of 927 fans.

And at Ferrycarrig Park, Wexford and Bray Wanderers played out a 1-1 draw.

Matthew Dunne gave the Slaneysiders a 64th minute lead when he struck for James Keddy’s side.

But a 75th minute leveller for the Seagulls from Dane Massey salvaged a point.