League Report: Bohemians 3 - 0 DLR Waves

Isobel Finnegan being sent off by referee Alan Carey during Bohemians -v- DLR Waves at Dalymount Park on Wednesday, 29 March 2023.

Isobel Finnegan being sent off by referee Alan Carey during Bohemians -v- DLR Waves at Dalymount Park on Wednesday, 29 March 2023. Credit: Martin Doherty (ETPhotos)

Paul Corcoran reports from Dalymount Park

Bohemians returned to winning ways in the Women’s Premier Division on Wednesday night with a 3-0 victory over DLR Waves at Dalymount Park.

First half goals from Sarah Rowe and Erica Burke and a third in the second half from Kira Bates Crosbie saw the home side take victory.

Bohs made two changes from their loss to Peamount United with Katie Burdis and Niamh Prior coming into the starting line-up in place of Lynn Craven and Kira Bates Crosbie.

Graham Kelly also made two changes from the team that held Athlone Town to a scoreless draw on Saturday with Amber Cosgrove and Catherine Cronin dropping to the bench and Sarah McKevitt and Katie Malone starting.

Waves were the first on the attack with Malone playing in Michelle Doonan, the striker was one on one with Rachael Kelly, but the goalkeeper was off her line quickly to deny the visitors a goal with a solid close range save.

The home side were on the attack just a minute later with a well worked move on the right, Erica Burke squared the ball into the box to Sarah Rowe, but the midfielder struck her shot just wide of the post.

DLR had a penalty shout in the 15th minute when Doonan was through on goal again, this time the  striker got around Kelly but she was then brought down by Ciara Maher inside the box – Waves protested profusely but referee Alan Carey waved paly on.

On the half hour mark Niamh Prior played a stunning cross field ball from the left to Rowe – the Ireland international took the ball on and shot but Nicole Keogh defended well and blocked the shot behind.

Bohs were in front in the 37th minute when Neema Nyangasi was adjudged to have fouled Rowe in the box, the midfielder stepped up and smashed the ball into the top left corner. This was just the beginning of a dramatic seven minute spell in this game.

To add to Waves’ woes, Isobel Finnegan was dismissed five minutes from the halftime break after an altercation with Erica Burke. The midfielder pleaded her innocence with Burke on the ground but Carey saw fit to brandish the red card.

The Gypsies doubled their lead just before the break when Rachel Doyle blazed down the left wing before floating a lovely cross into the box, Burke met the ball well with her head and looped the ball over Eve Badana in the Waves goal.

The first key chance of the second half came shortly after the hour mark when Nyangasi got in on goal, the Waves midfielder nearly had the side back in the game but Kelly stood strong to make the save.

Rowe came close to adding a third goal for the home side when Burke took the ball down the left wing before drilling a cross into the box – Rowe just couldn’t get a good connection on the ball and Badana was able to make the save.

That third goal came just three minutes later  and with one of Kira Bates Crosbie’s first touches after coming off the bench. Mia Dodd had a snapshot saved by Badana but the ball deflected and fell into the path of Bates Crosbie who fired the ball into the net from close range.