League Report: Longford Town 0 - 0 Cobh Ramblers

Lee Steacy kept a clean sheet on his return to Bishopsgate as his Cobh Ramblers side picked up a point following a goalless encounter on Saturday night.

Fresh from last week’s draw in the RSC, Longford Town boss Stephen Henderson made a brace of changes to his starting lineup with Jamal Ibrahim and goalscorer Mo Boudiaf replacing Darragh Lynch and Derek Daly respectively.

The visitors, for their part, made just a single change in light of their victory over Wexford- Michael McCarthy coming in at right back to replace Pierce Phillips.

The home side carried the majority of the attacking play in the opening period with Ibrahim seeing plenty of the ball.

The Shelbourne academy product keeping the experienced Frahill busy in the centre of the Cobh defence.

On the Longford side, the central midfield trio of Serdeniuk, Dervin and Gary Armstrong carried the bulk of the playing experience and the combative nature of both deep lying midfielders was in evidence. And the pair also displayed some neat passing in the engine room.

On 38 minutes Armstrong released Josh Giurgi down the right and his dinked cross was crashed off the bar by the busy Ibrahim – the closest either side came to a breakthrough in an opening half where Longford dominated the possession.

But Cobh kept them at arm’s length for the most part. As an attacking threat Ramblers had a couple of set pieces nodded off target but rarely caused Longford issues from open play.

The second half started with the home side in the ascendancy and former Town keeper Lee Steacy had to be alert to keep his clean sheet intact.

 Referee Marc Lynch was also kept on his toes throughout the encounter with former Cobh boss Stephen Henderson, now in charge of Longford, receiving a yellow card for disputing a decision.

It was one of a number which the home crowd disagreed with. But, in truth, it was a niggly affair throughout with both sides guilty of mistimed tackles.

Sporadic efforts on goal punctuated the midfield jousts and Cobh's left back Cian Browne had an effort stopped by Jack Brady before his teammate and sub Jake Hegarty saw an effort deflected out for a corner as Shane Keegan's outfit sought a winner.  

And the Rams thought they had a winner when Callum Stringer found the net, but he was offside as Longford breathed a heavy sigh of relief.

The game finished in a goalless stalemate. And it was a very creditable result for Ramblers given the fact Longford won all four league encounters between the sides last season.

Next up for Longford Town is a trip to the Carlisle Grounds as they face an unbeaten Bray Wanderers side.

Cobh head to the Market's Field to take on a Treaty United side fresh from picking up their first point of the season against Kerry.


Longford Town: Jack Brady; Cian Byrne, Shane Elworthy, Oisin Hand, Kyle O'Connor; Gary Armstrong, Mohamed Boudiaf, Aodh Dervin, Josh Giurgi (James Doona 85), Victor Serdeniuk (Adam Verdon 79); Jamal Ibrahim (Darragh Lynch 69).

Subs not used: Jack Harrington, Evan Farrell, Ciaran Hodanu, Ross Fay, Francis Campbell.

Booked: Victor Serdeniuk (33), Stephen Henderson (50), Aodh Dervin (90).


Cobh Ramblers: Lee Steacy; Cian Browne, Brendan Frahill, Charlie Lyons, Michael McCarthy; Jason Abbott, Luke Desmond (James O'Leary 59), Jack Doherty, Dale Holland, Tiernan O'Brien (Pierce Phillips 59); Wilson Waweru (Jake Hegarty 60).

Subs not used: Darragh Burke, Issa Kargbo, Justin Eguaibor, Darragh O'Sullivan-Connell, Callum Stringer, David Bosnjak.

Booked: Pierce Phillips (73), Michael McCarthy (74).


Referee: Marc Lynch 

extratime.com Player of the Match: Jamal Ibrahim (Longford Town).

Attendance: 844.