League Report: Treaty United 1 - 1 Cobh Ramblers

Fri, Apr 09 2021
Charlie Fleming receives a red card from referee Declan Toland

Charlie Fleming receives a red card from referee Declan Toland Credit: Steve Alfred (ETPhotos)

Michael Cooke reports from Markets Field

The Munster derby ended level at the Markets Field as Treaty United drew 1-1 with Cobh Ramblers.

Sean McSweeney opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour while Darryl Walsh was on target for the visitors who had to play for an hour with ten men following Charlie Fleming’s red card.

Forty seconds in and Cobh already had their first chance as former Limerick player Ian Turner forced a save from Tadhg Ryan.

The Treaty net minder was making a welcome return to the Treaty side following his recovery from injury and so too was midfielder Sean McSweeney.

McSweeney was absent from the win over Wexford through suspension and he marked his return in style with the opening goal as early as the 15th minute.

Darren Murphy gave the ball away deep inside his own half and Treaty worked it to McSweeney who calmly slotted it in the bottom corner.

The hosts almost doubled their advantage soon after that when a well delivered corner from Marc Ludden found Jack Lynch in acres of space, but the Treaty captain headed over.

Discipline has been a persistent problem for Treaty this season and the issue resurfaced yet again just after the half hour mark.

Charlie Fleming was about to get a yellow card for an alleged dive before clashing with Darryl Walsh which earned him a straight red instead, that’s now three successive matches where Treaty’s had a player dismissed.

The visitors had an extra man but still found meaningful chances hard to come by in the first period.

That said they almost found an equaliser on the stroke of half-time when David O'Leary had a few stylish touches before blasting over from close range.

Cobh Ramblers looked a rejuvenated side after the resumption and Lee Devitt almost pulled one back after he was beautifully set up by Ian Turner.

Just over a minute later, the Rams were off the mark when a superb first-time shot from Darryl Walsh found the net.

Chances were scarce for the Limerick based outfit in the second half, but substitute Ed McCarthy blew a golden chance to restore the lead after he was played in by Marc Ludden wide left.

Minutes later, Cobh had a flurry of chances as Killian Cooper and Jake Hegarty both tried their luck but failed to score leaving the sides deadlocked at 1-1.

Both sides pressed for an equaliser in the dying minutes but there was none forthcoming resulting in a stalemate in Limerick.

It meant that Cobh picked up their first points of the season following consecutive defeats in their opening two games while Treaty United remain undefeated in their maiden season in the League of Ireland First Division. 


Treaty United: Tadhg Ryan; Anthony O'Donnell, Marc Ludden, Sean Guerins, Charlie Fleming; Mark Walsh, Sean McSweeney (Matthew McKevitt 86), Jack Lynch (c), Matt Keane, Joel Coustrain (Alan Murphy 70); Kieran Hanlon (Edward McCarthy 46).

Subs not used: Shane Cusack, Adam Foley, Shane Lowth, Callum McNamara.
Booked:  Sean McSweeney (40).
Sent off: Charlie Fleming (33).

Cobh Ramblers: Sean Barron; Cian Murphy, John Kavanagh, Lee Devitt Molloy, Darryl Walsh, Kevin Williams; Darren Murphy, David O'Leary (Killian Cooper 68), Stephen O'Leary (Christopher O'Reilly 22), Ian Turner; Ciaran Griffin (Jake Hegarty 80).

Subs not used: James McCarthy, Charlie Lyons, Martin Coughlan, Nathan Coleman, Ben O'Riordan, Gavin Ryan.


Sent off:

Referee: Declan Toland

Attendance: 0

ExtraTime.ie Player of the Match: 




Did you enjoy this article? If so, please consider becoming a patron of extratime.com for just €4 a month to help us cover running costs.