League Report: Galway WFC 0 - 2 Wexford Youths

Sat, Nov 14 2020

None Credit: Hugh de Paor (ETPhotos)

Paul Corcoran reports from Eamonn Deacy Park

Galway suffered defeat at the hands of Wexford Youths on Saturday afternoon with the visitors running out 2-0 winners at Eamonn Deacy Park.

The teams faced fierce conditions on the banks of the Corrib with the rain lashing down for most of the game.

The poor conditions contributed to neither side being able to display themselves best qualities but Wexford still managed to come out on top with goals from Orlaith Conlon and a lovely long distance effort from Ellen Molloy.

The visitors took the lead in the 16th minute with a corner routine that saw the ball come to Ciara Rossiter who picked up the ball midway into Galway’s half.

The defender lined up the high cross which Aisling Frawley met, heading it on and down to Conlon who had the easy task of taping the ball into the net.

Galway first hit the target in the 36th minute after a great run up the field from Shauna Brennan all the way from the left-back position.

The defender managed to get a pass off to Tessa Mullins while under extreme pressure. Mullins struck her shot from outside the box but the ball sailed straight into the arms of Ciamh Gray.

A minute later and Wexford put Amanda Budden to work after another excellent lofted cross from Rossiter found the feet of Sinead Taylor.

Taylor struck the ball hard and low but Budden managed to get down and save with her feet.

Molloy scored a great goal just before half time after the ball was cleared to the midfielder. She hit the ball on the run with her first touch hard and low and just managed to find the bottom corner of the net from outside the box.

Taylor went close for the visitors again in the 56th minute after Molloy played a great through ball to the striker.

Budden advanced quickly off the line and Taylor’s shot was parried behind by the goalkeeper.

Savannah McCarthy just managed to prevent a third goal from the resulting corner-kick. The ball came right across the box and the midfielder just got her forehead to it to prevent it from crossing the line.

Galway should have gotten back into this game in the 80th minute when the ball came across the Wexford box to Chloe Singleton, with a little bit of help from the head of Aoife Thompson.

Singleton fired a shot toward goal but Nicola Sinnott came to the aid of her goalkeeper by blocking the shot away.

In the 81st minute second half substitute Vanessa Ogbonna went close to adding to the visitor’s lead with a cracking shot from outside the box.

Budden had to be at her best with a diving save and the goalkeeper just managed to smother the ball on the ground as it rolled loose from the initial save.


A small noteworthy event for the home side late in the game when Budden moved into the outfied to allow Abbie Ronayne come on between the posts in order to replace the injured Therese Kinnevey.

Galway WFC: Amanda Budden; Shauna Brennan, Therese Kinnevey (Abbiegayle Ronayne 90), Aoife Lynagh (Kate Slevin 60); Savannah McCarthy, Lynsey McKey (Rachel Baynes 60), Tessa Mullins, Chloe Singleton, Jamie Turrentine (Ellerose O'Flaherty 60); Aoife Thompson.

Subs not used: Ria McPhilbin.

Booked: Tessa Mullins (10).


Wexford Youths Women: Kiev Gray; Orlaith Conlon, Edel Kennedy, Ciara Rossiter, Nicola Sinnott; Lynn Craven (Breda Cushen 70), Aisling Frawley (Kira Bates-Crosbie 70), Kylie Murphy (Aoibheann Clancy (46), Lauren Kelly (Vanessa Ogbonna 60), Ellen Molloy; Sinead Taylor (Blessing Kingsley 60).

Subs not used: Sally Kelly, Fiona Ryan.


Referee: Katie Hall.

Attendance: 0.

ExtraTime.ie Player of the Match: Ellen Molloy (Wexford Youths).

Did you enjoy this article? If so, please consider becoming a patron of extratime.com for just €4 a month to help us cover running costs.