First Division Round-up: Drogheda go top with Bray win, Longford back in the hunt and Wexford stun Cabinteely

Sat, Sep 26 2020

Mark Doyle's (left) sixth goal in three games put Drogheda United top at the expense of Bray Wanderers. Credit: Al Robinson (ETPhotos)

As expected, there was a night full of goals, excitement and drama in the First Division as the promotion hunt took yet another twist.

In the night’s big game between first and second, it was Tim Clancy’s Drogheda United who came out on top with a 1-0 win over Bray Wanderers.

Mark Doyle scored in the 28th minute for the Boynesiders as they secured a vital three points to take back to Drogheda.

The result now sees United go top of the First Division table with just four games left to play – with Bray a point behind on 29 points.

Meanwhile, Longford moved to within four points of top spot this evening as they dismantled Athlone Town at Lissywoolen.

Rob Manley opened the scoring with his sixth goal of the season in the tenth minute of the game, and it remained at that score until the half-time break.

Sam Verdon then netted a spot-kick in the 69th minute of the game to continue his fine goalscoring record against Athlone.

Sub Lee Duffy was then dismissed in the 74th minute before Scott Delaney put the ball into his own net moments after.

And in injury-time, Karl Chambers added the gloss to the win as Daire Doyle’s charges catapulted themselves back into the title picture.

Elsewhere, Wexford turned in a performance of the highest quality as they dismantled Cabinteely by five goals to one at Stradbrook.

A brace from Karl Fitzsimons was enhanced by first-half goals from Karl Manahan and Dan Tobin. 

Kevin Knight scored what turned out to be a consolation for the hosts in the 52nd minute, while sub Patrick O’Sullivan made it 5-1 late on with a superb composed finish. 

Read Andrew Dempsey’s match report from Stradbrook Park here.

In the night’s other game, Galway United saw their five-game winning run come to a crashing halt when they were defeated at home by Cobh Ramblers.

A first-half goal from Ian Turner made the difference as the visitors snapped their own three-game losing streak.

Read Paul Corcoran’s report from Eamonn Deacy Park here.