League Report: Shamrock Rovers II 0 - 1 Cobh Ramblers

Mon, Sep 07 2020

Macdara Ferris reports from Tallaght Stadium

Cobh Ramblers earned another three points in their promotion push with a 1-0 win over Shamrock Rovers II in Tallaght on Monday night – their fourth win in a row in the First Division.

Conor Drinan’s second half goal was the difference on the night. The Hoops young squad will feel somewhat hard done by having dominated possession for most of the game but as has been the case on a number of occasions this season Rovers couldn’t convert all the football they had into goals.

The closest Rovers came to a goal in the first half came on 19 minutes when Brandon Kavanagh played a pin-point pass through the Cobh defence for Thomas Oluwa to run onto. However Sean Barron was quick off his line, spread himself well and got a decisive touch with his foot to keep his cleansheet.

There were long spells in the game when Cobh couldn’t seem to get the ball as Rovers’ crisp passing through and around midfield kept the ball with the Hoops. However, Aidan Price can’t have been happy that they couldn’t penetrate a resolute Cobh defence as Ben O’Riordan and Charlie Lyons just about keeping Oluwa and Dean Williams in check.

Kavanagh’s shot midway through the half was straight at Barron and Jordan Tallon should have troubled the Cobh ‘keeper after a good move involving Peter Adigun and Thomas Oluwu.

The visitors though did have a few decent moments of their own as they came into the match more as the first half went on. David Hurley took a throw in on his chest, turned and got a shot away but straight at Leon Pohls.

In the final minute of the half, there was a big shout from Ramblers for a goal as Hurley’s corner was headed over Pohls. Cobh were claiming a goal but the ref deemed that the ball hadn’t crossed the line before it was cleared.

Cobh started the second half with more of a spring in their step. Twice Hurley found the head of Conor Drinan in the box but both times he couldn’t at least make the ‘keeper work.

At the other end a super tackle by Stephen O'Leary in the box helped out the visitors as Williams was about to unload a shot following an excellent run by Oluwu down the left holding off two Cobh defenders.

Oluwa forced a good save out of Barron just after the hour mark and he did well again when faced with Williams bearing down on goal after substitute Kevin Zefi ducked under a long ball allowing Williams to run onto it.

The visitors got the winner though on 68 minutes as Rovers failed to clear a free kick sent looping in on goal. The ball broke kindly to Drinan who powered the ball into the roof of the net from inside the six yard box.

Having become the youngest ever goalscorer in the League of Ireland last Friday, Zefi showed more of his skills when he went on a mazy run on the left. He sucked four Cobh players to him before ducking through them to play a deep cross to Jordan Tallon who sliced his effort wide and that was as close as they came as Cobh claimed all three points.


Shamrock Rovers II: Leon Pohls; Jordan Tallon (Aidomo Emakhu, 73), Sean Callan, Adam Wells; Max Murphy, Sean Brennan (Aaron Bolger 61), Brandon Kavanagh (Kevin Zefi 61), Darragh Nugent ©, Peter Adigun; Thomas Oluwa (Michael Leddy 80), Dean Williams.

Subs not used: Kian Clarke (gk), Dean McMenamy, John Ryan.

Booked: Max Murphy (77), Aaron Bolger (90+5).


Cobh Ramblers: Sean Barron; John Kavanagh ©, Ben O'Riordan, Charlie Lyons, Lee Devitt; Ian Turner, Stephen O'Leary (Martin Coughlan 90), David Hurley, Greg Henry, Conor Drinan; Naythan Coleman (Christopher O'Reilly 71).

Subs not used: Gavin Ryan (gk), Jack Leonard, Cathal Crowley, Darragh Crowley, Darryl Walsh.

Booked: Ben O'Riordan (25).


Referee: Rob Dowling

Attendance: 0.

ExtraTime.ie Player of the Match: David Hurley (Cobh Ramblers).