Sacred Heart Firhouse Clover win LSL Senior Sunday 1 while Tolka Rovers clinch Senior 1A title

Thu, Sep 03 2020

Carl Forsyth in action when the then-Firhouse Clover contested the 2017/18 FAI Intermediate Cup final against Maynooth University Town. Credit: Peter Fitzpatrick (ETPhotos)

Sacred Heart Firhouse Clover will return to the top tier of the Leinster Senior League as champions after sealing the Senior Sunday 1 title with two games to spare.

A tense 2-2 draw with St Patrick’s CY at Ringsend Astro was enough to earn the Killinarden-based side the point they needed to move into an unassailable position.

Tolka Rovers were crowned winners of Senior Sunday 1A while Kilbarrack United lifted the trophy in Senior 1B.

Goals in either half from Peter O’Donnell were enough for SHFC after the uncharacteristically found themselves 2-0 within five minutes.

The Killinarden-based side were all but guaranteed the title as sat were nine points clear of second-placed Kilnamanagh with three games to play.

It's little over two years since Firhouse Clover contested the FAI Intermediate Cup final but challenging circumstances led to a merger with nearby Sacred Heart.

They new club was relegated at the end of last season but regrouped to top a competitive league that contains strong Kilnamanagh, Lucan United and Home Farm sides.

They needed only a point but Pats were in no mood to form a guard of honour and ran into a 2-0 lead courtesy of Aaron Robinson and Adam Gregg.

Robinson put the hosts ahead in the third minute with a superbly-struck free kick before a defensive lapse allowed Gregg to double up two minutes later.

SHFC created a string of chances as the half wore on and their patience was rewarded eight minutes before the break as O’Donnell’s long-range took a wicked deflection and looped over the keeper.

The equaliser arrived three minutes into the second half and it was a spectacular one as O’Donnell latched onto the ball 35 yards out and volleyed spectacularly over the goalkeeper’s head.

Both sides were reduced to ten men five minutes from town as a melee broke out following a foul of Carl Forsyth that saw Andy Doolan of Pats CY and Michael Doyle of SHFC dismissed.

The point proved to be enough for Sacred Heart Firhouse Clover, however, who will return to the top tier just two years after former from the merger of the two Tallaght clubs.

And in Senior Sunday 1A, Tolka Rovers were crowned champions following a 2-1 win over St John Bosco and will return to the second tier after a rough few seasons.

A first-half penalty and Aaron Townley cancelled out St John Bosco’s opener before Sean Kane struck late to move Tolka four points clear of Collinstown with just one game remaining.

Kilbarrack United were presented with the Senior Sunday 1B trophy after rounding off the season with a 4-0 win at home to Hartstown Huntstown.