League Report: Longford Town 3 - 1 Wexford

Tue, Sep 01 2020

Deniese O'Flaherty reports from Bishopsgate Stadium

A brace from second half substitute Aaron McCabe helped Longford Town to victory over Wexford on Monday evening at Bishopsgate.

The Cavan lad was just on the pitch for three minutes when he spotted Wexford keeper Tom Murphy off his line and hit an audacious lob from about 30 yards out that ended up in the back of the net in the 86th minute. McCabe made sure of the win with a second goal deep in stoppage time. 

The win stopped a run of two defeats in a row for Town who had slipped down the table. This win sees them move back up to third but they have played a game more than those around them. 

Since the resumption of the league, Town have not put in a good performance. This performance was poor and Wexford will feel hard done by. They battled hard throughout and deservedly drew level in the 75th minute. 

Wexford played some good football and didn’t allow Town much time on the ball. Although Town scored three goals in this game they still have a problem with creating goal scoring opportunities and when they do, they squander them.

It was the visitors who had the first chance on the game inside the second minute. Former Town player Jack Doherty played a neat ball to Azeez Yussuf but his low shot was cleared off the line by Town defender Joe Gorman.

Doherty, Yussuf and Charlie Smith played well throughout and caused problems for the Town. In the ninth minute Town took the lead when Rob Manley was brought down and a penalty was awarded. Sam Verdon stepped up and slotted the spot-kick home.

After that goal the visitors took a hold of the game and created chances to try and get back into the game. In the 17th minute Smith saw his effort go over the bar. Minutes later Doherty and Smith combined but Mick McDonnell blocked down Smith’s effort.

Down the other end Dean Byrne blasted over the bar while Dylan Grimes couldn’t direct his header on target. Just before the break Doherty turned and shot but his effort was deflected out for a corner. Byrne was making a comeback since he sustained a nasty ankle injury in the first game of the season back in February.

Both sides had possession in the opening stages of the second half but failed to create anything of note. The best chance came when Doherty brought a superb save out of Town keeper Lee Steacy in the 62nd minute.

The visitors levelled matters in the 75th minute when Yussuf was brought down and Conor Crowley found the back of the net with the free from the edge of the box.

Just when it looked like the game would finish honours even, Aaron McCabe was introduced as a substitute and three minutes later in the 86th minute he put Town ahead with a stunning lob from distance. 

In stoppage time Rob Manley’s shot was parried by the Wexford keeper with McCabe on hand to shoot to the net.

Longford Town: Lee Steacy; Joseph Manley, Joe Gorman, Shane Elworthy; Dean Zambra (Aaron McCabe, 83), Michael McDonnell, Adam Evans (Matthew O'Brien, 83), Aodh Dervin, Dean Byrne; Sam Verdon (Dylan Grimes, 23), Rob Manley.

Subs not used: Matthew O'Brien, Aaron McCabe, Dylan Hand, Dylan Grimes, Luke Dennison, Karl Chambers, Niall Barnes.

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

Wexford: Tom Murphy; Dan Tobin, Charlie Smith (Patrick O'Sullivan, 82), Craig Giles, James Carroll; Jay Nwanze, Karl Fitzsimons, Jack Doherty, Conor Crowley; Karl Manahan, Azeez Yussuf (Kevin McEvoy 90).

Subs not used:  Kieran Murphy, Jack Lydon, Kristian Crawford, Liam Berry, Malike Benrouguibi.

Booked: None.

Sent off: None.

Referee: Jason Mannix

Attendance: 0.

ExtraTime.ie Player of the Match: Azeez Yussuf (Wexford).