League Report: Galway United 0 - 2 Cabinteely

Fri, Jul 31 2020

None Credit: Martin Doherty (ETPhotos)

Pete Kelly reports from Eamon Deacy Park

Cabinteely grabbed a 2-0 victory in Galway on football’s return on Friday night, with the win moving them five points clear at the top of the First Division table. 

The opening half at Eamon Deacy Park was to a large extent unexciting. The chances were few and far between and the home time found themselves a goal in arrears at the break.

That goal came on 29 minutes when Kieran Marty Waters knocked in a corner from the right which was clicked on by Conor Keeley and headed home by Kevin Horgan by Kevin Knight. 

Galway’s defending from that corner left a lot to be desired and that frailty was almost compounded two minutes later when Waters missed a sitter. The home side did not get back from a corner quickly but Horgan came to the rescue.

United started the second half with gusto and just three minutes in, Conor Barry had a good chance blocked as Galway looked to get back in the game.

The home team continued to turn the screw while Cabinteely looked to hit on the break. Although Galway were enjoying the lion’s share of possession they were giving away that advantage cheaply.

Cabinteely sealed the game in the 77th minute when he seized on a defensive mistake to calmly grab his side’s second goal.

The remainder of the match was uneventful with multiple substitutions – five now allowed due to COVID-19 - helping to disable any chance of either side getting any kind of continuity. 

Galway United: Kevin Horgan; Jack Lynch (Killian Brouder 58) Marc Ludden, Maurice Nugent, (Carlton Ubaezuonu 75), Timmy Molloy (Francely Lomboto 58), Mikey Place, Conor Barry ( Vinny Faherty 75), Donal Higgins, Kevin Farragher, Cian Murphy (Killian Brouder 58), Sam Warde.

Subs not used: Cian Mulryan, Stephen Christopher, Timo Parthoens.

Cabinteely: Michael Kelly, Jonathan Carlin, Conor Keeley, Alex Aspil, Keith Dalton, Kieran Marty Waters (Paul Fox 85) Shane Barnes, (Dean Casey 85), Eoin Massey (Zak O’Neill 90), Villius Labutis, Lloyd Buckley (Mitchell Byrne 89), Kevin Knight.

Subs not used: Cory Chambers, Paul Fox, Eoin Phillips, Dylan Thornton. 

Extratime Man of the Match: Shane Barnes (Cabinteely)

Referee: Kevin O’Sullivan


Did you enjoy this article? If so, please consider becoming a patron of extratime.com for just €4 a month to help us cover running costs.