League Report: Cork City 1 - 0 Finn Harps

Sat, Feb 29 2020

Dylan O’Connell reports from Turners Cross

Alec Byrne’s second half goal led Cork City to a 1-0 victory over Finn Harps at Turners Cross,  giving the Rebel Army their first league win of 2020. 

Friday night’s loss in Cork, also meant that Finn Harps have lost their unbeaten start to the season, after previously beating Sligo Rovers and drawing with Derry City. 

City meanwhile, were one of the two clubs left in the league without a point or goal scored in 2020. This run has included the club’s worst loss in their history.  

A 6-0 drubbing at the hands of Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght Stadium last Friday, which was followed up with a 3-0 hammered in Dundalk last Monday. 

In front of a sizable home crowd, City looked nervous while Harps looked sharp for much of the first half. 

This led to Ollie Horgan’s men forcing a number of chances through the first half as the home side found their feet. 

Karl O’Sullivan was the main threat for Harps, with the forward forcing an excellent save from Liam Bossin early on. 

After Bossin could not hold a shot from Ruairi Harkin, Alex Kolger thought he had put Harps ahead with the rebound. 

The goal was rewarded, and in the middle of the celebrations, referee Neil Doyle consulted with his officials and as Bossin was stretchered off, the goal was disallowed. 

The second half saw City really click into their game plan, with Deshane Dalling and Daire O’Connor causing a number of problems for Harps in defence. 

The Rebel Army took the lead on the 54th minute when Alec Byrne pounced on a corner ball from Dylan McGlade, to head in passed McGinley. 

City thought they had scored a second midway through the half when Dalling burst down the left flank and fired towards goal, but in the spirit of the night the ball stopped in the puddles and muck on the goal line. 

Harps poured everything into an equaliser in the final moments. First, Kogler had a shot blocked on the line by Ronan Hurley, then a furious volley from David Webster spun wide. 


Cork City: Liam Bossin (Mark McNulty 45’), Henry Ochieng, Gearoid Morrissey, Dylan McGlade (Cian Murphy 88’), Daire O’Connor, Ronan Hurley, Alec Byrne, Kyron Stabana (Charlie Fleming 45’), Joe Redmond, Deshane Dalling, Joseph Olowu. 

Subs not used: Rob Slevin, Corey Galvin. Reyon Dillon, Beineon O’Brien Whitmarsh.

Bookings: Joseph Olowu. 


Finn Harps: Mark McGinley, Kosovar Sadiki, David Webster, Karl O’Sullivan (Cameron Saul 78’), Ruairi Harkin (Adrian Delap 90’), Barry McNamee, Shane McEleney, Mark Russell, Sam Todd, Ryan Connolly, Alex Kogler (Raff Cretaro 78’). 

Subs not used: Gareth Harkin, Leo Donnellan, Tony McNamee, Tom McDermott. 

Bookings: Kosovar Sadiki. 


Referee: Neil Doyle.

Attendance: 2367.