FAI Junior Cup Round-up: Holders St Michael's knocked out by Greencastle while Athenry edge nine-goal thriller in Manulla

Sun, Jan 12 2020

Reigning champions St Michael's (pictured: Jimmy Carr) were knocked out in Donegal by Greencastle. Credit: Michael P Ryan (ETPhotos)

Christy Hegarty’s extra-time goal saw Greencastle advance to the last 16 of the FAI Junior Cup at the expense of reigning champions St Michael’s on a dramatic day of cup action.

Hegarty, who netted the Inishowen side’s decisive penalty in the shoot-out against Mervue United in the previous round, struck again shortly after his introduction in extra time.

The home side had taken the lead shortly before half time when Jamie McCormick smashed the ball into the top corner but were pegged back after the break when David Slattery headed in off the bar.

Michael’s had seen off Clonmell Town and Birr Town away from home on their way to the open draw and they dug in to get back on terms in Donegal after finding themselves in arrears.

Penalties looked the likely method of separating the sides as both defences held firm through extra time, but a mix-up between Michael’s keeper Adrian Walsh and defender Richard Ryan proved vital.

Walsh and Ryan both opted to leave a loose ball for one another and Hegarty needed no invitation to nip in and loft the ball delicately over the keeper’s head and into the empty net.

2005/06 finalist Athenry were involved in the most dramatic tie of the day as they fought back from 3-0 down at half time to beat Manulla of Mayo 5-4 after extra time.

Nathan Ward struck late in extra time as they Galway side completed a remarkable comeback, having levelled for the second time in the final minute of normal time.

Spectacular strikes from Gerry Canavan and Mattie Nolan, either side of Chris Maughan’s strike, had given Manulla a 3-0 lead in just over half an hour.

Adam Duffy’s penalty and strikes from Colm O’Donovan and Cathal Fahy saw Athenry level. Jesse Devers put Manulla back in front before Fahy equalised once more just before the bell.

2010/11 champions Pike Rovers won 3-1 away to Suncroft despite having to play with ten men for the final quarter following Stephen McGann’s red card.

Evan Patterson gave the Limerick side the lead after just 15 minutes when he ran onto Jonathan Grant’s through ball and slotted the ball calmly home.

Suncroft struck back just before the half hour as Ray Coleman dispatched a penalty, and things got worse for Pike when McGann was given his marching orders with 25 minutes remaining.

Just four minutes later, however, Pike were in front as player-manager Robbie Williams bundled home a Shane Walsh free kick to put his side in front.

Keith Mawdsley wrapped up the win in the dying moments as Suncroft pushed for an equaliser, intercepting a short free kick and running the length of the field to make it 3-1.

A hat-trick from Peter Corcoran – the last deep in injury time – saw Westport United turn around a 2-0 first-half deficit to defeat Doolan’s Cow 3-2 in Mayfield.

Goals from Tony O’Reilly and Aaron Hennessy had given the Cork Business League side, playing in the last 32 for the first time, into a commanding lead ten minutes before half time.

Corcoran struck his first immediately from kick-off, however, and he equalised eight minutes into half time before prodding home the winner for the Mayo side in added-on time.

Eight-time winners Fairview Rangers, the most successful side in the competition’s history, are also in the drum for the last 16 after beating Dublin’s St John Bosco 3-0.

The Limerick side had to operate with ten men from before half time when James Fitzgerald, who opened the scoring early on, was shown a red card.

A penalty from Clyde O’Connell and a third from Ross Mann within the first four minutes of the second half ended any threat of a John Bosco comeback, however, and Fairview march on.

Usher Celtic progressed to the last 16 with a 5-3 win over Limerick’s Regional United in Grangegorman.

Jordan Buckley and Calvin Douglas each netted braces, while former Bohemians and Glenavon striker Steo Donnelly was also on target for the home side.

Oliver Bond Celtic fought from a goal down to see of Donegal’s Kildrum Tigers, goals from Adam Mitchell and Jimmy McHugh overturning the opener from ex-Finn Harps striker Kevin McHugh.

Rush Athletic’s run of form continued with a hard-fought 3-1 win away to Villa of Waterford thanks to a brace from Brian McAllister.

McAllister saw his first-half goal doubled by Brian Gillen but Villa pulled one back to force a nervy finish, but McAllister bagged his second in injury time.

A hat-trick from former Bray Wanderers playmaker Dylan Vickers saw Gorey Rangers to a comfortable 4-0 win at home to Cashel Town, with Paul Brennan also on target.

Second-half goals from Bobby Dowling, Lee Salter and Colin Osborne saw Carlow’s Crettyard see off the challenge of the Cork AUL’s last remaining representative Glenthorn Celtic.

And Tipperary’s Newpark are also in the hat as goals from Eoin Wall, Henry O’Neill and Greg Morton saw them past Carrig Celtic of Limerick.

On Friday night, four-time champions Sheriff YC advanced thanks to goalkeeper Lee Murphy’s late goal, scored from just outside his own box.

A hat-trick from Conor Murray sent Crumlin United on their way to a 5-1 win over Coonagh United on Saturday, with Johnathon O’Donoghue and David Dempsey also on target.

Meanwhile, in the fifth round, Tolka Rovers ran out 3-1 winners away to Shannon Hibernians while Ferrybank were 4-1 winners at home to Drumcondra.

And a late goal from Calvin Gallagher saw Buncrana Hearts win away at Rosemount Mulvey in atrocious conditions in Dundrum to set up a meeting with Killarney Celtic.