FAI Cup Report: Crumlin United 0 - 2 Bohemians

Mon, Sep 16 2019

Andy Lyons got on the scoresheet for Bohs this evening Credit: Martin Doherty (ETPhotos)

David Wilson reports from Richmond Park

A commanding performance from Bohemians in front of a decent crowd at Richmond Park saw them progress to an eagerly awaited Dublin derby FAI Cup semi-final at home to eternal rivals Shamrock Rovers.

Goals in each half first from Andre Wright, followed by a second half strike from Andy Lyons, proved to be the difference between the two teams.

Crumlin United, who were tipped by many to cause a problem or two to an injury ravaged Bohs side missing at least seven first team players, never got close to their northside counterparts as Keith Long’s side gave a lesson in ball retention to the lower league side.

The opening exchanges were controlled by the away side as Crumlin, designated as the home side, looked sit off and defend deep and spring on the counterattack if possible.

It only took 15 minutes for Bohs to open the scoring. Ross Tierney who was excellent in the middle of the park, pounced onto a loose pass.

His pass down the inside left channel found Danny Grant racing away, he cut inside his man before unleashing a low strike which Andre Wright was on hand to tap home from 4 yards out.

Two minutes later, James Talbot was unexpectedly called into action. A set piece was half cleared by the away side as Ryan Graydon attempted to dribble out, however the winger lost his footing.

Liam Brady then latched onto the ball - cracking a low right-footed rive that was arrowing towards the corner of the net only for a wonderful finger tipped save by Talbot.

That was as good as it got for the South Dubliners as the Northsider’s began to take control. Dawson Devoy occupied the no.10 position and he linked well with deeper midfielders Scott Allardice and Tierney.

Twenty-two minutes in, young guns Devoy and Tierney combined well in the midfield before finding Graydon down the right.

Graydon helped by an underlapping run from Andy Lyons saw the under-19 international flash a delivery across the face of the goal where Wright was unable to divert goal-wards.

One-way traffic ensued as Bohs showed their class. Wright had two half chances heading over twice before a succession of corners saw Allardice head onto the bar before Crumlin skipper Thomas Hyland cleared off the line.

The opening minutes of the half were slightly more even as Crumlin looked to press higher up the pitch. However, only ten minutes into the half saw Bohs grab the all-important second goal.

Wright controlled the ball well before setting Graydon through in space down the right, he squared the ball across to Lyons who was on hand to slot coolly low to the corner of the net.

Bohs controlled the ball, Allardice quarterbacking the side from the deep-lying midfield position as Graydon, Grant, Tierney, Devoy and wright all terrorised the Crumlin back four.

Crumlin did put up a spirited showing, but the gulf in class was obvious from the first whistle with the likes of Craig Walsh showing brief glimpses of quality against their more distinguished opponents.

Walsh pickpocketed Pender around the 69th minute, driving towards goal – and unleashing a fierce venomous right-footed drive which cannoned off his own striker in Dean Kelly.

Shortly after, Devoy who was excellent all game curled a beauty that just flew beyond the fingers of Michael Quinn in the Crumlin goal but unfortunately for the young Bohs prodigy it rattled against the bar before being cleared to safety.

Noel Cummins, David Fagan, Blair Mandiangu and Gareth Brady all defended manfully but it was in vain as they couldn’t make it stick up front and create a period of sustained attacking pressure for Leinster Senior League champions.

Crumlin’s best chance fell to substitute Gingi Aki has he found himself on the end of a great move from Walsh, Conor Murphy and Sam Burgess.

However, he couldn’t get enough purchase on his effort with Talbot comfortably saving as the Gypsies departed Inchicore with their passage to the semi-finals safely secured.


Crumlin United: Michael Quinn (GK); Noel Cummins, David Fagan, Blair Mandiangu, Gareth Brady; Thomas Hyland (C), Craig Walsh, Conor Murphy, Liam Brady (Gingi Aki 78); Jamie Donnelly (Sam Burgess 63); Dean Kelly,

Subs not used: Calvin Rogers, Jack Memory, Conor Mooney, Shane Hyland, Adam Kenny (GK)

Booked: Dean Kelly (36), Noel Cummins (64) David Fagan (87)

Sent off: None.


Bohemians: James Talbot (GK); Andy Lyons, Rob Cornwall, James Finnerty, Derek Pender (C) (Paddy Kirk 68); Scott Allardice, Ross Tierney; Daniel Grant (Luke Wade-Slater 75), Dawson Devoy, Ryan Graydon; Andre Wright (Ryan Swan 85)

Subs not used: Mick Kelly (GK), Aaron Barry, Michael Barker, Katlego Mashigo,

Booked: Ryan Swan (90+5)

Sent off: None.


Attendance: 2150.

Referee: Graham Kelly.

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Ross Tierney (Bohemians).