FAI Cup Report: Cabinteely 2 - 2 Cork City (Cork City win 5 - 4 on penalties)

Sat, Aug 10 2019

Cork City were left relieved following a major scare at Stradbrook Credit: Steve Alfred (ETPhotos)

Andrew Dempsey reporting from Stradbrook Road

Cork City were given an almighty fright by First Division Cabinteely as they had to see off their first round opposition via a penalty shootout.

Gearoid Morrissey’s spot-kick was enough to see the Leesiders through after Rob Manley saw his penalty saved by Mark McNulty.

City took a first-half lead through Conor McCarthy before being pegged in the second half by a Kevin Knight equaliser.

Cabo then took the lead in extra-time trough Manley, but Ronan Hurley scored a late leveller to bring the game to a penalty shootout that was won by the visitors.  

John Cotter’s side started strong – and backed by a large travelling support – going close with a Karl Sheppard flick-on at the near post.

However, it was Cabinteely who went closest early on as Jack Tuite’s header clipped off the top of the bar from a Paul Fox corner.

City then took charge of the game and through Garry Buckley, they almost opened the scoring with an impromptu bicycle-kick.

Buckley’s effort crashed off the bar after a Shane Griffin corner-kick broke down with a scramble for the ball ensuing.

With just under twenty minutes played, Cork took a deserved lead through the head of Conor McCarthy who steered his effort home at the back post.

Morrissey’s corner caused havoc in the penalty area as Cabo were unable to clear, leaving the Cork skipper free to score his fifth of the season.

Karl Sheppard almost made it two moments later when he headed wide a Griffin cross from the left as the Green and Whites were forced to cling on momentarily after conceding.

Tuite then went close at the back post once more moments later but there was Cork body on the line ready to clear the danger as Cabo went close.    

While they hung on for spells, Cabo ought to have levelled through Zak O’Neill. O’Neill was fed in by Vilius Labutis – before Mark McNulty was forced into a world-class save from the Cabo youngster.

Eoghan Stokes and Sheppard combined as the half drew to a close, but City were unable to secure a second heading into the break as Morrissey also flashed an effort wide late on, with the visitor’s content with their opening half display.

The second half saw City renew their opening half dominance with a controlled opening few minutes. McCormack and Buckley both proved key with their play, leaving Cabinteely chasing shadows for a time.

The Leesiders then saw their possession yield chances, with both Colm Horgan and Sheppard forcing saves from the alert McGuinness in the Cabinteely goal.

However, the game turned following the introduction of Luke Clucas. Knight saw an opening after the hour mark, forcing a good save from McNulty who tipped over the bar with a rasping drive from the former Longford Town defender.

Sub Yuta Sasaki then went close with a rasping drive after embarking on a thundering run through the Cork defence.

However, Cabo were not be denied as Knight levelled with just under 15 to play. Fox’s free-kick resulted in a goal-line scramble before the centre-back poked home over a line of bodies to send the hosts wild.

As normal time concluded, both sides had chances to win the game – with Cabo going close through Manley and the Leesiders seeing a late Sheppard effort saved by the feet of McGuinness as the game went into extra-time.

Having reverted to a three-man back line following the withdrawal of Daniel Blackbyrne in the early stages of the second period, Cabinteely overran their more illustrious counterparts.

Profiting from their control, the Green and Whites took the lead four minutes into extra-time thanks to a superb Manley finish – his 17th of the season.   

The forward was fed the ball by the lively Dalton, with the former Bohemians striker steering home with a superb strike.

As extra-time progressed, time started running out for the 2018 runners-up, but they were granted a bolt from the sky when Ronan Hurley fired home with just moments to play in the second half of extra-time – ensuring a nerve shredding penalty shootout.

Morrissey’s composed spot-kick saw the Rebel Army through, with Manley’s miss for the hosts being punished dearly.

Pat Devlin’s young guns were left heartbroken having given it their all against such renowned opposition, but they can certainly look back on their showing with a huge sense of pride as the visitors were rather fortuitous to remain in the FAI Cup.


Cabinteely: Stephen McGuinness; Daniel Blackbyrne (Luke Clucas, 50), Jack Hudson (Conor Keeley, 114), Kevin Knight, Jack Tuite; Alex Aspil (Yuta Sasaki, 59), Keith Dalton, Paul Fox, Vilius Labutis, Zak O'Neill; Rob Manley. 

Subs not used: Jonny Carlin, Karl Manahan, Eoin Massey, Peter Quinlan. 

Booked: Rob Manley (27).

Cork City: Mark McNulty; Dan Casey, Shane Griffin (Joel Coustrain, 68), Colm Horgan, Ronan Hurley, Conor McCarthy (Alan Bennett, 68); Garry Buckley (Alec Byrne, 108), Conor McCormack, Gearóid Morrissey; Karl Sheppard, Eoghan Stokes (Darragh Crowley, 96). 

Subs not used: Kevin O'Connor, Tadhg Ryan, Josh Honahan.

Booked: Conor McCormack (88).

Referee: Paul McLaughlin.

Attendance: 550 (Estimate).

ExtraTime.ie Player of the Match: Kevin Knight (Cabinteely).