EA Sports Cup Report: Derry City 4-2 Waterford (AET)

Tue, Aug 06 2019

David Parkhouse was on form as Derry City secured their passage to the EA Sports Cup final Credit: Clare McCahill (ETPhotos)

Odhrán Crumley report from the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium

Derry City have qualified for the final of the EA Sports Cup for the second successive season after a come from behind win against Waterford at the Brandywell.

David Parkhouse scored twice to cancel out the Waterford opener as the holders remained on course to retain the title.

It wouldn’t be that simple however, as Walter Figueria grabbed his second to bring the game to extra-time.

Six minutes into the additional period, Parkhouse grabbed his hat-trick and a place in the final for his team, before adding a fourth with a stunning performance later on.

The Candystripes will now meet the winners of Dundalk and Bohemians in the decider.

True to form for a Monday night kick-off, the game was a slow burner with a lethargic nature throughout the ground festering from on field events.

Derry would create the first chance of the game, fifteen minutes in, Darren Cole cutting the ball back to Ciaran Harkin who came close, striking the side-netting.

Waterford drew first blood midway through the half capitalising in some slack play at the back from Cole and Nathan Gartside.

Walter Figueria capitalised nipping in to knock the weak back-pass beyond Gartside and into the empty for a debut goal.

The Candystripes were left bewildered with how the ball stayed out of the net on the half hour mark.

Some neat play from Grant Gillespie in the area created the space for a shot only to be denied by Matthew Connor before Rory Feely cleared the ricochet off, of the line. 

Waterford could have doubled their advantage minutes later, Rory Feely’s cross deep into the area was instinctively volleyed over the bar by JJ Lunney.

The home side continued to pass up chance after chance with Gillespie lively, but he became the latest to pass up an opportunity after a fine pass from Jamie McDonagh.

Parity would be restored before the break after substitute, Cory Galvin fouled Barry McNamee in the area.

David Parkhouse stepped up to take the kick, sending the ball into the bottom left corner of the net and Matthew Connor the wrong way to send the teams in at the break level.

It was the Munster men that looked most threatening across the third quarter with JJ Luney and Tom Holland coming close.

Despite their dominance it was Declan Devine’s men that took the lead with a second from Parkhouse.

Jamie McDonagh found the striker on the edge of the area, for the second time in a week, Parkhouse landed a spectacular goal against Alan Reynold’s side.

Waterford would equalise with six to play Walter Figueria delightfully finishing on the volley from Rory Feely’s well placed cross.

Ciaran Coll and David Parkhouse came close for Derry in the closing stages but, could not stop the game going to extra-time.

Six minutes into extra-time, Parkhouse grabbed his hat-trick knocking a McDonagh cross into the back of the net.

Waterford were reduced to ten at the end of the first half of extra time as Robert Slevin received a second yellow for a foul on Jack Malone.

It was four for Derry and Parkhouse early in the second period of extra-time as the striker headed Jack Malone’s cross into the net to secure their passage to yet another final.


Derry City: Nathan Gartside; Darren Cole, Ally Gilchrist, Eoin Toal, Ciaran Coll; Jamie McDonagh, Grant Gillespie (Greg Sloggett, 62), Ciaron Harkin (Jack Malone, 88), Gerardo Bruna; Barry McNamee (Michael McCrudden, 62) David Parkhouse (Aidy Delap, 108).

Booked: Barry McNamee (28), David Parkhouse (103).


Waterford: Matthew Connor; Robert Slevin, Maxi Kouogan, Kenny Browne, Rory Feely; JJ Luney, Thomas Holland (Kevin Lynch, 106), Zachary Elbouzedi (Cory Galvin, 36), Shane Duggan (Karolis Chvedukas, 74) ; Walter Figueria, Michael O’Connor (Dean Walsh, 108).

Booked: Robert Slevin (27), Michael O’Connor (74), Maxi Kouogan (81).

Sent off: Robert Slevin (105).


Referee: Robert Rogers.

Attendance: 1,100 (estimate).

ExtraTime.ie Player of the Match: David Parkhouse (Derry City).