First Division round-up: Longford ease past Athlone as Cabo soar once more

Fri, Aug 02 2019

Cabinteely skipper Stephen McGuinness captained his side to another crucial home win Credit: Al Robinson (ETPhotos)

Neale Fenn’s Longford Town were the headline makers in the First Division on Friday evening as they eased past local rivals Athlone Town.

Cabinteely also secured a comprehensive three-nil win over Limerick as Bray stuck five past a leaky Wexford defence.

Drogheda United also comfortably saw past Galway United at Éamonn Deacy Park with a quick-fire ten minute show producing three goals for the Boynesiders.

Longford raced ahead early on against their Midlands rivals with local star Aodh Dervin firing home from range after two minutes.

Full-back Anto Breslin made it two before the quarter hour as loanee Sean Boyd scored his second in as many games to make it three after just 22 minutes.

Sub Peter Hopkins added the gloss to score-line with just two to play before Kealan Dillon grabbed a late consolation strike for Terry Butler’s side. Sam Verdon made it five from the spot in injury time. 

Cabo continued their playoff push with a dominant three-nil over Limerick at Stradbrook. Rob Manley’s double helped the Green and White’s secure a big win.

Keith Dalton made it three after just four minutes of the second half before Tomas O’Connor was dismissed with a straight red moments after to cap off a torrid night for Tommy Barrett’s side.

Galway United also suffered another home defeat against Drogheda United at Éamonn Deacy park thanks to a quickfire ten minute display from the Boynesiders.

Luke McNally, Chris Lyons and Stephen Meaney were all on target for the visitors who remain in second spot, just five points behind Shels in pole position having played a game more.

Marc Ludden scored a consolation goal early on in the second period for the Tribesmen who fell to their sixth home defeat of the season.

Bray Wanderers rounded off the action in the First Division with a fine five-one win over Wexford at Ferrycarrig Park.

Captain Paul Keegan, Brandon McCann, Dylan McGlade and John Martin all netted during a storming first-half display from Gary Cronin’s side.

Danny Furlong scored his third in two games on the stroke of half-time, but it wasn’t enough to peg back the Seagulls who put the icing on the cake after the hour mark through midfielder Phillip Gannon.

The result sees the Co. Wicklow side remain in 5th, just five points behind Cabinteely in fourth spot.