First Division Round-Up: Shels held at the death as Bray get back to winning ways against Limerick

Sat, Jul 13 2019

Ian Morris' side were held at the death by a fine Stephen McGuiness penalty save Credit: Paul Dolan (ETPhotos)

It was a night of few goals in the First Division as the ball only hit the back of the net on three occasions, with much of the drama coming from Tolka Park.

Bray secured their first win in two while Shels and Cabo played out an entertaining draw at Tolka Park as Wexford and Galway United played out a stalemate at Ferrycarrig Park.

Shelbourne were held to a one-all draw at home to Cabinteely on a night of late drama at Tolka Park with the Reds eight game winning run coming to a halt.

Karl Moore claimed the opener with just ten minutes to play before substitute Shane Barnes rifled home an equaliser in injury time.

Defender Eoin Massey was then adjudged to have handled the ball by Northern Irish referee Keith Kennedy who awarded the Reds a late spot-kick.

However, his effort was easily saved by goalkeeper and man of the match Stephen McGuiness who made sure of a priceless point for Pat Devlin’s who maintained their promotion charge at the Richmond Road venue.

Just a few miles south of Drumcondra, Bray Wanderers got back to winning ways after two successive defeats with a win over in-form Limerick at the Carlisle Grounds.

Paul Keegan’s penalty on the stroke of half-time secured a much-needed three points for Gary Cronin’s side.

Defender Killian Cantwell was dismissed during the opening stages of the second half, but it was not going to derail the Seagulls chance of victory.

In fact, Cronin’s side were denied a second of the night after Sean Heaney was judged to have fouled in the act of scoring a header from a Dylan Barnett corner.

In the night’s other game, Galway United and Wexford played out a scoreless draw at Ferrycarrig Park.

The Tribesmen went close late on through Colin Kelly and Wilson Waweru but were unable to secure their first win in eight.