First Division Round-up: Shelbourne stretch lead to four points with Drogheda win as Longford falter in Bray

Sat, Jun 15 2019

Shels boss Ian Morris saw his side move four points clear in the chase for Premier Division football. Credit: Paul Dolan (ETPhotos)

Shelbourne went four points clear of their closest challengers Longford Town in the First Division table thanks to a 2-1 victory over Drogheda United at Tolka Park.

Neale Fenn’s Longford fell further behind after they were shocked by two late goals to go down 3-2 away to Bray Wanderers.

Ian Morris’ side took the lead after just 15 minutes through Ciaran Kilduff, who headed home an Aidan Friel cross.

The Boynesiders equalised as Sean Brennan scored just before the break after his initial free-kick was blocked down by the Reds wall.

However, Shels were not to be denied another win as Derek Prendergast popped up with an 85th minute winner to send Morris’ side four clear at the top.

Bray Wanderers produced a stirring fightback against Longford Town at the Carlisle Grounds to secure a massive three points for Gary Cronin’s side.

Bray took an early lead through Derek Daly’s header before Dean Byrne went on a mazy run to slot past a helpless Gabriel Sava to level the game for Neale Fenn’s side before the break.

Longford appeared to have secured all three points with just five minutes to play as Luke Nolan unfortunately headed past Sava to give Longford the lead.

However, the Seagulls were not to lie down, and they came roaring back as Killian Cantwell scored at the back post to level the game in the 88th minute.

There was further drama to come as sub Hugh Douglas scored a last gasp winner for Bray which leaves them just a point behind Limerick in fourth position.

Cabinteely secured a late point at the Athlone Town Stadium thanks to Luke Clucas’ late equaliser after Terry Butler’s side took the lead through Dean Williams in the 73rd minute.

Cabo took the lead through Rob Manley, scoring his 12th goal of the season before a quickfire double from Athlone saw them take the lead with just over 15 minutes to play.

Clucas then spared Cabinteely’s blushes late on as he shot past a helpless Aaron Myles. Pat Devlin’s side remain in ffith.

In the night’s other games, Limerick played out a scoreless draw at Ferrycarrig Park against Wexford while Cobh Ramblers secured their second home win on the spin against Galway United.

The talented duo of Denzil Fernandes and Jaze Kabia were on hand for Ramblers as Stephen Walsh scored a consolation for the Tribesmen with over twenty to play.  

The Rams’ win over the Tribesmen will have been overshadowed by the news that manager Stephen Henderson has left the club after announcing his resignation to the club’s board on Friday afternoon.