League Report: Derry City 2 - 0 Cork City

Fri, Apr 26 2019

Eoin Toal celebrates with teammate Darren Cole after opening the scoring midway through the first half. Credit: John-Paul McGinley (ETPhotos)

Odhrán Crumley reports from the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium

Goals in either half from Eoin Toal and Jamie McDonagh handed Derry City a deserved three points at home to Cork City.

Toal broke the dead-lock midway through the half before Jamie McDonagh made amends for an earlier penalty miss to seal the victory in the dying minutes of the game.

In the opening exchanges both sides battled for supremacy before the pendulum eventually swayed in favour of the home team.

Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe came close with an attempted aerobatic effort, reaping the rewards of a strong Jamie McDonagh run.

Minutes later, Derry would be presented with another chance in the shape of a free-kick just yards from the area.

Barry McNamee decided to have a shot but his effort never looked like troubling Mark McNulty as it flew over the bar.

Midway through the half, the direct running of Junior would draw a foul, in a promising position inside the Derry City attacking half.

Jamie McDonagh floated an inviting ball towards the back post and it appeared the ball had evaded all in the area before the lunging leg of Eoin Toal directed the ball into the bottom corner.

The Lonemoor Road men would continue to dominate despite taking the lead, Barry McNamee, David Parkhouse and Darren Cole all having efforts on goal after some intricate passages of play.

Despite this dominance the home team could not extend their advantage and led by a solitary goal at the break.

The second half began in a similar vein as a delightful cross from Jamie McDonagh evades the grasp of Mark McNulty.

The ball only needed a touch into the empty net but neither Parkhouse nor Junior could direct the ball goalward.

Cork would get their purple patch as the rain began to fall and Garry Buckley’s powerful effort from 40 yards was pushed away by a diving Peter Cherrie.

It wouldn’t be long before Declan Devine’s men re-established their dominance, Barry McNamee swinging a delightful ball into the area.

Toal again opted to throw his foot at the ball six yards out, only for the ball to this time fly out of bounds.

From the very next attack, the Rebel Army would win a corner. Conor McCarthy rose highest to head the ball goalward but, luckily for the home team, Ciaron Harkin was on hand to clear off the line.

12 minutes from time, Derry were awarded a penalty after Barry McNamee was brought down in the area by Conor McCormack.

Cork were reduced to ten as McCormack picked up a second yellow card, however it would not prove to be a double-whammy as Mark McNulty dived to his right to save McDonagh’s spot-kick.

Junior could only blaze the rebounded effort high and wide in a desperate strike at goal.

McDonagh would make amends for his penalty misses in the dying embers of the game.

Junior, Parkhouse and Ciaron Harkin were all involved as McDonagh sent a sweetly struck effort beyond McNulty to seal the win.

Derry City: Peter Cherrie; Darren Cole, Ciaran Coll, Patrick McClean, Eoin Toal; Ciaron Harkin, Jamie McDonagh, Barry McNamee, Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe, Greg Sloggett; David Parkhouse (Eoghan Stokes 92). 

Subs not used: Nathan Gartside (gk), Gerardo Bruna, Josh Kerr, Conor McDermott, Shane McNamee, Evan Tweed. 

Booked: Barry McNamee (7), Patrick McClean (39).

Cork City: Mark McNulty; Dan Casey, Shane Griffin, Conor McCarthy, Sean McLoughlin; Garry Buckley, Conor McCormack, Daire O'Connor (Dan Smith HT), Karl Sheppard (Darragh Crowley 79), James Tilley; Darragh Rainsford.

Subs not used: Tadhg Ryan (gk), Garry Comerford, Graham Cummins, Colm Horgan, Kevin O'Connor.

Booked: Shane Griffin (20), James Tilley (61), Sean McLoughlin (66), Mark McNulty (69), Conor McCormack (77, 78).

Sent off: Conor McCormack (78)

Referee: Robert Harvey.

Attendance: 3,500 (estimate).

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Barry McNamee (Derry City).