League Report: Derry City 0 - 2 Bohemians

Fri, Aug 31 2018

Bohs fans display in memory of Oran Tully Credit: John-Paul McGinley (ETPhotos)

Odhrán Crumley reports from the Brandywell Stadium 

Goals from Dinny Corcoran and Daniel Kelly secured all three points for Bohemians in a dire affair at the Brandywell on Friday evening.

The Dublin outfit opened the scoring in just the first minute of the game with Kelly setting up Corcoran to score before the provider became goal scorer with Kelly confirming the points early in the second half. 

Bohemians got off to a dream start with Kelly knocking the ball past Kevin McHattie before burning him for pace. He then pulled the ball back towards the penalty spot where Corcoran was on hand to fire into the net. 

Both sides battled for supremacy in the middle third which led to a constant turnover in possession of the ball, neither side able to carve out any real chances. 

Keith Ward however, did fire the ball into the feet of Corcoran but the striker could not find a yard of space to shoot and was superbly dispossesed by a sliding Dan Seaborne. 

In the 19thminute the Brandywell united in applause to celebrate the life of Bohs supporter Oran Tully who recently died. Both sets of supporters unveiled banners as a tribute with the Bohemians banner reading: “I am here for a good time, not a long time – Oran Tully.” 

Derry had their first effort on goal in the 23rdminute of the game with Ronan Hale shooting into Shane Supple’s hands from just outside of the area. 

With half-time approaching Ward tried a powerful effort from the right corner of the box. The arrowed shot seemed destined for the top left corner of the net before flying just passed the post. 

Derry had a chance of their own when Ben Fisk flicked a corner towards the front post to Seaborne who could not keep the effort down before heading over the bar. 

There appeared to be more urgency about the Candystripes at the beginning of the second half with Rory Hale coming from close with a rasping effort from thirty yards.

Cathal Farren came close minutes later getting his head over the ball as his low effort from the edge of the area trailed just wide of the post. 

Despite Derry’s positive start to the half it was the visitors who doubled their advantage. 

It was a slick break down the left before Kelly was picked out in the area and seemingly afforded all the time in the world inside the area before shooting past Gerard Doherty and into the net. 

For long stretches of the half neither side showed much attacking intent although Kenny Shiels’ side did have a sniff of a chance. Aaron Splaine won a header sending the ball towards the area where it was headed back towards Ronan Hale, but he could not trouble Supple’s goal. 

In truth, the home side will be dismayed as to how the ball stayed out of the net in the 76thminute of the game. 

First, it was Shane McNamee who struck the post before Aaron McEneff’s effort from range was saved by a diving Supple.

The referee’s whistle eventually brought the game to an end confirming a 2-0 win for Bohemians as Derry slipped to sixth place in the table behind St. Patrick’s Athletic.

Derry City: Gerard Doherty; Jamie McDonagh, Darren Cole, Danny Seaborne, Kevin McHattie; Ben Fisk (Dean Shiels h/t), Aaron McEneff, Rory Hale, Aaron Splaine (Shane McNamee 75); Ronan Hale, Ally Roy (Cathal Farren h/t). 

Subs not Used: Eric Grimes, Gavin Peers, Eoin Toal, Adrian Delap.

Booked: None. 

Bohemian FC: Shane Supple; Derek Pender, Dan Casey, Ian Morris, Darragh Leahy; Keith Buckley, Keith Ward (Dan Byrne 75), JJ Lunney; Daniel Kell,y Kevin Devaney, Dinny Corcoran (Ryan Masterson 87).

Subs not Used: Colin McCabe, Rob Cornwall, Daniel Grant, Oscar Brennan. 

Booked: None. 

Referee: Damien McGraith 

Attendance: 1,500 (estimate) 

Player of the Match: Daniel Kelly (Bohemians)