League Report: Bray Wanderers 0 – 0 Treaty United

by Sam McKeever

Sam McKeever reports from the Carlisle Grounds

A spirited Treaty United display on their League of Ireland debut earned them a point as they frustrated Gary Cronin’s Bray Wanderers attacking talents at the Carlisle Grounds on Sunday afternoon in a goalless draw.

The home side had the first chance of the game as a throw from the right-hand side was flicked on by Darren Craen.

It found midfielder Richie O’Farrell who managed to get the ball out of his feet quickly as he blasted a shot towards the near post with Tadgh Ryan getting down well to save.

If there was a way that the League of Ireland newcomers were going to create chances, it would be from set-pieces. On 17 minutes Marc Ludden’s long throw from the right side of the pitch was launched towards the penalty area.

Brian Maher missed his punch of the ball before it fell to Matt Keane in acres of space in the box, but he scuffed his volley over the bar.

Tommy Barret’s side were frustrating the home team with their compact defensive shape. However, the Seagulls almost found a way through as clever work between Conor Clifford and Craven almost put the latter in on goal, but he was deemed offside as he put his effort over Ryan’s cross bar.

The second half was the same as the first as Treaty United stayed in a low block defense to frustrate the home side with Mark Walsh counting his fortunes as he headed a curling Brandon Kavanagh corner across the box as it just went past Ryan’s post.

Treaty’s Sean McSweeney had an ambitious effort himself as the visitor’s arduous work in midfield won the ball back. He picked the ball up 35 yards out, but his looping effort sailed over Maher’s bar.

However, on the 65th minute mark McSweeney picked up a second yellow as a poor challenge from the midfielder on Richie O’Farrell gave referee Oliver Moron no option but to send the player off.

In a game with not a lot of chances, Bray did look like they would turn the screw just a little a bit with glimpses of good passages of passing.

A good move down the right ended with a Mark Byrne cross missed by everyone before Dylan Barnett headed towards goal to the surprise of the defender as Ryan gathered the poor header.

In the last ten minutes Treaty defended resolutely deep in their own box. The likes of Kavanagh and Clifford tried to carve something out for Bray against a very solid two banks of four, but their persistence had no reward as Treaty United held on to claim their first point in the League of Ireland.

Bray Wanderers: Brian Maher; Dylan Barnett, Andrew Quinn, Aaron Barry; Conor Clifford, Ryan Graydon, Mark Byrne; Darren Cravan, Brandon Kavanagh; Richie O’Farrell, Luka Lovic (Steven Kinsella 68)

Subs not used: Kian Clarke (gk), Cian Mahon, Glen Hollywood, Gary Shaw, Joe Doyle, Charlie Gallagher, O’Shea

Booked: Darren Craven (48), Luka Lovic (21)

Treaty United: Tadhg Ryan; Charlie Fleming, Marc Ludden, Anthony O’Donnell, Kieran Hanlon (Edmund O’Dwyer 57); Sean McSweeney, Matt Keane, Sean Gurrins; Edward McCarthy, Mark Walsh, Jack Lynch

Subs not used: Shane Cusack (gk), Alan Murphy, Aaron Fitzgerald, William Armshaw Shane Lowth, Callum McNamara, Matthew McKevitt

Booked: Sean McSweeney (49 and 65)

Sent off: Sean McSweeney (65)

Referee: Oliver Moran

Extratime.com Player of the Match: Sean Guerins (Treaty United)